Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Night_Into_Day
  • 1 Post By Night_Into_Day
  • 2 Post By Night_Into_Day

Thread: Replacing Nitecore headlamps with Cyansky

Replacing Nitecore headlamps with Cyansky

I recently reviewed the HS6R Headlamp from Cyansky and it blew away the Nitecore HC65. The HS6R is great for hunting with a range of 170m (I measured 210m)

I'll be stocking this model and ditching the Nitecore headlamps. Nitecore seem to aim for cool white LEDs for the most lumens, however they wash out the colours and can strain the eyes.

Here's my review if anyone is interested. Night footage is against the HC65

What's the pricing looking like?

Yeah looks good. will you be addressing any of the flaws stated at the end before distributing?

$130 incl a battery, same as the HC65

I'm getting suitable batteries in from the US, these would be $14 vs $30-35 for Nitecore's batteries.

I found the HC65 had confusing controls and the rubber loops on the bracket are stiff to adjust the angle. Popular brand, but I personally don't like it.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yeah looks good. will you be addressing any of the flaws stated at the end before distributing?
    - Lumens measured didn't meet specs

Lower than stated lumens isn't an issue since lumens don't determine the brightness, the range does. Lumens determine the beam width most of the time. This is mainly used as a marketing tactic by most brands. Higher lumens sell best, so most go for the highest number possible without really understanding it.

For example you could have two models:

Torch 1: 500 lumens, 1000m range
    Torch 2: 1000 lumens, 1000m range

Which one is brighter? Both of them are the same, the only difference is torch 2 has a wider beam.

- Low battery capacity

I'm not using the bundled battery, I'm getting in a higher capacity battery. Even so, the pricing is far lower for replacements than the expensive Nitecore ones.

- Unreliable connection using some unprotected button tops

I'll be bundling a protected battery. The headlamp shouldn't be used with an unprotected battery since the headlamp itself doesn't have low voltage protection (neither does the HC65). I just need to note this for others on the flashlight forums.

- No direct access to Low (moonlight was an error)

Nothing can be done here. Not too much of an issue, but it is useful.

The pros far outweigh the cons, which aren't really cons, they just needed mentioning.
    Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Into_Day View Post
    - No direct access to Low (moonlight was an error)

G'day mate, what do you mean by direct access to low? Meaning you have to cycle through the bright settings first?

Cheers

That's correct. There's no shortcuts of any sort, it's just hold for on/off and click to cycle levels. I actually haven't found it to be a problem when I usually set the flood beam to low and the spot beam to high. Cyansky could definitely benefit having a shortcut to low and turbo like many other headlamps though.

The Sofirn HS20 is very similar to the HS6R, there's just no red beam. It has a way better user interface though. I'm patiently waiting for a Convoy headlamp I asked the company to design for me with a white and red beam.