Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1st time in 25 years, 2 projectiles stuck up the spout

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar

1st time in 25 years, 2 projectiles stuck up the spout

Hi everyone,
    Any advice ... or just unlucky?
    The other night is was shooting subsonics out of my .22LR Weihrauch 60J rifle (see my post with 4 very dead bunnies) and when I went to unload at the shed - the bolt was very tight so I gave it a little bit more of a nudge and and it pulled the case and left the projective up the spout (remembering I hadn't fired this round).
    About a month ago I had a .17HMR (see my post with 2 very dead bunnies last night) round stuck about 2 inches up the spout (I had fired this round) and luckily a could tell something was up and switched to the trusty 10/22 for the rest of the evening.
    Both came out with a cleaning rod and a couple of good taps.
    I love cleaning my guns and think I do a good job but I do like to run a very lightly oiled patch before they go back in the case. I'm shooting the same ammo. The HMR is well shot in. The Weihrauch has shot about 100 rounds.
    Was this my first experience of rimfire ammo or is something up that I don't know about and I should have them checked?
    Thoughts anyone?

I posted this here as I thought you ballistics nuts would be way more knowledgeable than us mere weekenders

I've had that problem with .22LR CCI ammunition, it's happened a couple of time now.
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded

could the projectile be getting damaged in the feeding process? could they be too far forward in the mag which may be making a lip on the nose?

What you may find is that some accurate 22 rinfire bolt action rifles have a tight chamber & throat area , and as such some ammo thats a little longer or wider than the chamber will get stuck in the chamber ( engrave the front of the bullet ) and if you shoot it , its no problem , problem is when you donot .
    Check to see if you have this problem with all ammo or just some .

Later Chris
    Gunzrrr likes this.

I am using CCI Subs ... maybe I could go back to Winchester Subs?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    I've had that problem with .22LR CCI ammunition, it's happened a couple of time now.

You are right - two different issues.
    Whilst it did detect a slight change in sound of the discharge in the HMR ... the real giveaway was the possum or bunny was still looking at me ... ha ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Both my Anshutz and former TCR55 had tight throats. Never happened to me. Im a very slack .22 barrel cleaner.
    Its odd. What ammo brand?
    Its two different issues by the sounds of it. One jammed projectile on the .22 and a semi misfire on the 17HMR?
    17HMR is worse. That is dangerous. Bet there are a LOT of 17HMR owners who would lack the knowledge/experience to notice that.

I shoot CCI subs in my Anshultz never had a prob, owned a Weihrauch .22 for years and put heaps thru, I don't clean my .22 barrels except on special occasions, never had a prob and I'm talking thousands of rounds, you mop it dry before the first shot? I also be thinking a deformed projectile on loading, did the ejected pull thru the rim? The MSG design on the early models wasn't great IMHO, over designed
    The .17 could be an incorrectly loaded round, like primer only that's real dangerous, wouldnt use that ammo again! If you kept the bits and have the batch # I'd send it all back to the manufacturer for their comment! might save some else having a blowup?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Thanks Maca. Maybe the round was deformed on entry into the breach like you say. As for the HMR - I came to the same possibility which was that particular round was primer only? It was Remington brand which I understand is made by CCI anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I shoot CCI subs in my Anshultz never had a prob, owned a Weihrauch .22 for years and put heaps thru, I don't clean my .22 barrels except on special occasions, never had a prob and I'm talking thousands of rounds, you mop it dry before the first shot? I also be thinking a deformed projectile on loading, did the ejected pull thru the rim? The MSG design on the early models wasn't great IMHO, over designed
    The .17 could be an incorrectly loaded round, like primer only that's real dangerous, wouldnt use that ammo again! If you kept the bits and have the batch # I'd send it all back to the manufacturer for their comment! might save some else having a blowup?

I've only ever used one packet of Remington ammo and will never use there ammo again. If they didnt jam they wouldnt go. Might get lucky and have one that worked
    VIVA LA HOWA

1st time in 25 years, 2 projectiles stuck up the spout

Have had the same issues with CCI subs in the young fellas Brno , any other brand of sub not an issue ,I will do a measure up today and see if can find anything , as a general rule in our other .22's CCI is our preferred choice and had a very good run with it , been hard to get lately though
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Are you cleaning the oil out of the barrel before you shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    Are you cleaning the oil out of the barrel before you shoot?
    Well I run a patch through it (usually just one) ... nothing too obsessive.
    sako75 likes this.

Used to find unfired CCIs wouldn't extract in my 22 Savage BA when it was new. The rims may be thicker perhaps? Now it's as loose as Hanna Montana and no probs.

I've had a few squib loads in pistols with cast bullets stuck up the barrel. Lucky the sound and feel is totally different as firing another one up behind would be catastrophic.
    Maca49 likes this.

No prize for guessing what happened to this .22
    Name:  P1000911 (1000 x 562).jpg
Views: 243
Size:  182.6 KB
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.