Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 223 help

Check your head space to make sure your brass isn't to short

Make sure its not over gassing, it most likely is with the suppressor & no adjustable gas block.

northdude
    ok it still gives the pressure sighns with suppressor removed I thought an adjustable gas block only altered the pressure going back to cycle the action ammo seems to chamber properly has any one local got a headspace gauge or got a way of measuring it

R93
    Starting to sound like a headspace issue to me especially since you mentioned the barrel nut.
    Have you got access to a chrony?
    How far is the brass being thrown? Does it fall in a cluster after the first couple rounds when cold or does it go all over the place?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

northdude
    yep got a chrony it throws the brass about a meter from the gun it lands in the same spot

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    yep got a chrony it throws the brass about a meter from the gun it lands in the same spot
    Are your velocities where you would expect them to be with given load?
    Are the velocities over a string within 100fps?

Mate I'd be following up on R93's and Kiwi greg's line of thinking - and also see if you can try a couple of other uppers to find something that works for you (like a adj gas block) if you start changing stuff. My money is on it being the brass/chamber size and you having a non adjustable gas block with the supressor fitted creating extra pressure.

P.
    northdude likes this.

northdude
    I havnt chronyed it its a spanners barrel so guessing its a military chamber all brass gets fl sized so an adj gas block affects chamber pressure and cyceling pressure I'm not fully clued up on ars yet but reducing cyceling pressure would increase chamber pressure wouldn't it

northdude
    and it doesn't seem to make a difference with the can on or off that's why I'm thinking ammo I should of saved a couple of rounds and pulled them apart and weigh the powder charge on someone elses scales it could be any number of things just after ideas for process of elimination and gain an understanding of how the thing works its a pretty simple set up but they do have their quirks that sometimes aren't obvious

R93
    It is not a gas issue in my opinion.
    A few things aside, a safe load in a bolt gun of similar barrel dimensions will be safe in an AR.

As you know you are only ducting off gas to cycle the action. Being able to adjust that for a given load or a suppressor is the benefit of an adj gas block. But even if you block the gas port right off, and the rifle should fire a safe load with no pressure signs.

Something else is going on.
    Brass being thrown approx a meter away from the rifle is a lot less than my AR which is balanced and uses an identical load I use in my bolt .223 Might not be a biggy due to other things but could be an indicator of something else.

Barrel could be tight or a brass issue in turn causing headspace issues.
    Hard to say without looking at it in person.
    Hope you sort it.

Gone but not forgotten
    one thing I should try I guess is make a dummy round and chamber it and see if the projectile is jammed in the lands
    Yes, that would be one of the first things I would check. The very first would be powder charge, which looks okay according to the adi website which has the same projectiles.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    It is not a gas issue in my opinion.
    A few things aside, a safe load in a bolt gun of similar barrel dimensions will be safe in an AR.

As you know you are only ducting off gas to cycle the action. Being able to adjust that for a given load or a suppressor is the benefit of an adj gas block. But even if you block the gas port right off, and the rifle should fire a safe load with no pressure signs.

Something else is going on.
    Brass being thrown approx a meter away from the rifle is a lot less than my AR which is balanced and uses an identical load I use in my bolt .223 Might not be a biggy due to other things but could be an indicator of something else.

Barrel could be tight or a brass issue in turn causing headspace issues.
    Hard to say without looking at it in person.
    Hope you sort it.

Thanks that's kind of what I'm thinking what's the safest I could go at the low end of the scale as I've heard low loads can be dangerous as well been loading for a long time and havnt come across this before got some super x to try in it as well

R93
    Thanks that's kind of what I'm thinking what's the safest I could go at the low end of the scale as I've heard low loads can be dangerous as well been loading for a long time and havnt come across this before got some super x to try in it as well
    I have a 3 gun load that has 22.5grn of 2206h with a 64 grn projectile. Use it with a suppressor. Don't use it much anymore tho.
    Never tried anything lower sorry. Someone else might know.

That load sounds piss weak honestly. With a proper 5.56 chamber, you should be able to run 26gr of 2206h under a 55gr bullet no problem. In all of the AR baŕrels I have had or have, anything less than book max is aenimic.

northdude
    Yea I know so what's a list of things that will give pressure sighns other than loads to high

24.5grns AR2206h has been my go to load with pills from 45-55grns for years in my bolt action....... with 55grn pills it should be fine.... I use dog breakfast of brass and for last few years it has all been milserp as got given a heap of it......all things being equal the milserp brass SHOULD have higher pressure but I ve never seen any issues at all.
    as others have said what does it do with a factory load????
    that will give you peace of mind straight away as you arent 2nd guessing yourself re are my loads the issue????