Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 2 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By stug

Thread: 280rem projectiles

280rem projectiles

Recently acquired a 280 with a 1:8 barrel.

Wondering what folks recommend running in it? Previous owner had 162elds doing 2835fps. Looks great on paper! But wondering if a 140-150gr pill might be useful to?
    Will be a tops rifle for the usual suspects, reds, tahr and chamois.

Nah mate stick with the 162 eld's. I'm still using the 162 amax in my 7x65R at 2750fps. Awesome tops performance.
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Nah mate stick with the 162 eld's. I'm still using the 162 amax in my 7x65R at 2750fps. Awesome tops performance.
    Yep definitely stick with 162 Amax/Eldm

^^^ This. Once you've got long and heavy for calibre bullets working, there's no reason to go back. The improvement in ballistics and terminals is not really something I'd want to give up. I'd be giving the 175gr ELD-X a go before I went lighter.

My 280ai I run 162 AMAXs for long range (2980 FPS with N560) and Swift 150 gn with RL22 for spook & shoot bush load (0-300 yd)

Mine hated 162 A-Maxs but I found 150 LRABs doing 3130 do the biz.

Do you run a brake, suppressor or bare ?

If you run a brake run the heavier projectiles, 180s even, other wise a lighter projectile will be much easier for you to manage

I have been running the 162ELDX in my 7 rem mag with pretty good results. Sitting just on 3000fps. Has been an accurate load but only shot one animal to date and it was a hind at about 15m I spooked climbing up to the tops. Made a mess of vitals. Looked like it exploded.

Not to hijack the thread but how are the ELDM for hunting? I was of the impression they may be a bit thin in the jacket and that's why the ELDX was made.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntGatherRepeat View Post
    I have been running the 162ELDX in my 7 rem mag with pretty good results. Sitting just on 3000fps. Has been an accurate load but only shot one animal to date and it was a hind at about 15m I spooked climbing up to the tops. Made a mess of vitals. Looked like it exploded.

Not to hijack the thread but how are the ELDM for hunting? I was of the impression they may be a bit thin in the jacket and that's why the ELDX was made.
    I believe the eldm has a construction more like the old Amax, and they use to and still work beautifully, especially at extended range.
    chainsaw likes this.

+1 what GWH said, the eld-m is a bit soft for close range at that velocity, but will work beautifuly at long range.
    In my 7mm mag I used the 162 amax for shots 300yd + and a 160 accubond for close range shots. I zeroed my scope for the 162 amax and dropped the powder load 1.5-2 gr for the accubond. At 100 yds it was less than 1" from the amax zero.
    Shearer and chainsaw like this.

Cheers guys. What's the downside of the ELDX? Too hard and not enough expansion at range?

Quote Originally Posted by HuntGatherRepeat View Post
    Cheers guys. What's the downside of the ELDX? Too hard and not enough expansion at range?
    Potentially. Past a certain velocity expansion will be limited. For my ELD-X load I’ve decided thats about 650m with the Creedmoor, with a bit of safety margin built in. Will depend on the ballistics of your load, cartridge obviously. The fail I wrote about here a couple of weeks ago was more likely point of impact, just clipping the top of the lungs and running through below the spine. That would happen with any controlled expansion bullet. I get why blokes want to use frangible bullets like ELD-M or Sierra TMK at extended ranges.

For me though I’m sticking with ELD-X because now I’ve gotten over the loss and frustration I’m not particularly enthusiastic to go through the whole load development drama again, because before and after that incident I’ve shot a lot of goats at shorter and longer ranges and they’ve all died on the spot. It’s been bloody good for me, with the one exception. And last week my business partner shot several reds off of the winter feed block with the 6.5 ELD-X all at extended range and knocked them all over no fuss or bother.

But of course several times since he’s just pointed out to me that’s because he’s a better shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Do you run a brake, suppressor or bare ?
    If you run a brake run the heavier projectiles, 180s even, other wise a lighter projectile will be much easier for you to manage
    Yeah i’d second that my 280AI (6lbs bare rifle ) kicks like a 3 legged ninja - but with a T2 brake it’s a pussy to shoot and certainly helps to shoot nice tight groups