Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 450 bm

450 bm

Hi all was wanting to reload subs for my 450 but trailboss is not available is there any other options cheers

Someone on here may have some they can spare.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Try powder like 700X Red dot AS30 and AS50, you may have to use a filler to get the best accuracy, I use 700X in the .44 Mag without any problems.

Red Dot should be easily available, I have a spare can if not. Trailboss is apparently off the manufacture list for at least another couple of years as it's totally different from any of their other products and the plant is under backlog for reasons of Putin. They are producing everything required for military calibers and artillery and everything else that isn't used it those areas gets to wait.

Hi HNK 770 ; I see u in Papamoa. Broncos Outdoors has Red Dot , which seems to be a really nice powder to use for sub loads in my 45/70. There is an American article” Leveraction sub load data” off the top of my head which has a lot of data on sub loads for 45/70 with lots different powders . I know it’s not the same caliber as the 450 Bushmaster but there might be new info on that site ( I can find exact name to google once I get home) . For Red dot I’ve ended up with 12.5 gr with Hornady jacketed Sub x 410 gr & 11.5 gr with hard cast. You probably know ; start loads slightly super sonic with NO Suppresser on & carefully work down. Keep checking the target paper to make sure the projectile is stabilizing & punching thru with a nice round hole. If I’m not mistaken I’m not far away from you & can lend u a chrony if u need

Hi there , good to see someone loading for the 450 bushmaster I brought one a few months back a have enjoyed loading for it ,just my own cast bullets so far have had trouble loading them but happy with them accuracy .

Hi Gur1 ; weren’t you running a Begara & a Henry both in 45/70? If so ; out of curiosity , what made u change to the 450 bushmaster?

Was interested in 450 before the 45/70 the guy I brought my Lyman Gould mould off was running it in his 450 but it was easier to get started casting and loading if I just went with a 45/70 so I got the bergara and loved it but when I saw the little Henry for sale and with the trigger job that needed doing had been done I could not resist and it’s my favourite rifle in the box , I think , but on a few hunts lately I have or would have liked a 2 nd shot a bit quicker, well that was my excuse so I brought a Howa mini in 450 . Will move the bergara on sometime .

I was keen on the 1/16 twist as well for my Lyman Gould bullet moving along nice and slow .

Had read good things about the Gould bullet so when I saw one on trade me I got it , when it turned up the misses asked which rifle it was for I just smiled, and then COVID arrived in the country and it took awhile to get a 45/70 .

So did u have to buy 2 sizing dies for your cast bullets? .458 for the 45/70 & .453 for the 450 bushmaster? How do the cast look after the smaller sizing die?

Morning, a 452 sizing die come with the Lyman mould and I have never sized for my 45/70 , just powder coated and loaded and have had good results so far , for my 450 I have sized after powder coating and they seem to come out better then doing it before coating .

yes have heard it is not being made

cheers i currently live rural pukehina have a chrony just bit the bullet and ordered loaded subs 395 grain

Quote Originally Posted by Avopik View Post
    So did u have to buy 2 sizing dies for your cast bullets? .458 for the 45/70 & .453 for the 450 bushmaster? How do the cast look after the smaller sizing die?
    i would have gone 45/70 but really wanted a bolt action so got a sweet little ruger