Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 6.5CM bullet performance

Quote Originally Posted by JohnQT View Post
    @zeropak just an update on this. I haven't managed to run the 135Gr Bergers just yet - hopefully next weekend in fallow territory.
    However, this weekend I ran some 142gr ABLR doing 2760fps on some reds. Took two hinds, one at 263meters, the other about 270meters. Shot both through the shoulder and they both dropped dead within 3-4 seconds. They left a tennis ball sized hole for an exit wound in the off shoulder and tuned the inside to jelly meat. Keen to see how the Bergers compare, but thought you may be interested in these projectiles too. Obviously not going quite as fast as I'd like, but for a 0.4moa 3 shot group for the first ever load with them, I'm pretty happy!
    Attachment 246164
    Yeah looks like an interesting choice. Nosler say this bullet will expand reliably down to 1350fps which is exceptional for a bonded bullet, or any bullet. The price of them is pretty up there but I guess you get what you pay for. 2762fps is not bad for a 142gn projectile. i might have to give them a try thanks for the info.
    JohnQT likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    Yeah looks like an interesting choice. Nosler say this bullet will expand reliably down to 1350fps which is exceptional for a bonded bullet, or any bullet. The price of them is pretty up there but I guess you get what you pay for. 2762fps is not bad for a 142gn projectile. i might have to give them a try thanks for the info.
    142 ABLR work really well I've shot a couple of reds with them and they shoot really well the 129 ABLR would also be good in the Creedmoor

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    JohnQT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    so reading that...I would think he had been using a really fragile explody projectile all those years ago.... we have all heard tales of bullets exploding on outside of shoulder...personally Ive only seen it once and entirely my fault,shouldnt have been using that load on that animal a 110grn hp varmit in .270w on fallow yearling.still have the skin here and remember it like yesterday.hit fair in shoulder,animal dropped and screamed (still haunts me ,only time ever heard deer do it) reloaded and put 130grn norma through same place,instant lights out. I know it went through same hole as there is no other hole in skin.
    that same 110 was dynamite on wallabies.....still is,just dont try it on anything bigger.lesson learnt.
    wasnt fault of bullet...was wrong tool for the job.

.308 at roughly 400 yards clean through the shoulders and out the other side he reckons. Swears its the most unreliable shot for anchoring a dog, and would rather get them somewhere in the spinal column if he could.
    "O Great Guru what projectile should I use in my .308?" To which the guru replied, "It doesn't matter."
    -Grandpamac

Hmmmm a 30calibre hole through shoulder blades and thin bit of lungs n it kept running.....the mystical "void shot" perhaps or just not enough resistance to open up or transpher shock at all.....or didn't hit shoulders at all...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Jt89 View Post
    .308 at roughly 400 yards clean through the shoulders and out the other side he reckons. Swears its the most unreliable shot for anchoring a dog, and would rather get them somewhere in the spinal column if he could.
    Yep they need a bit of resistance, at most ranges in my experience with the 30 cal AMAX. Shot many goats with them at about 10-20 yards with 308win, quite a few shot through both shoulders needed some convincing they were going to die Mr Bowie sorted them out. Anyhow, I'm getting off topic
    Jt89 likes this.