Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 6mm BR in a hunting rifle for deer.

L.R
    Perhaps a 6xc. Cheap brass and dies. Will shoot a 105@3k from a 24" barrel.

LJP
    The 6BR is a sweet round but is a bitch to get functioning in a magazine - if your fine with a single shot it's a fantastic round.
    If you want mag feed I'd definitely be looking at the 6XC - looks almost as accurate & happily magazine feeds.

Depends on what action you are using, but generally the T3 actions feed 6BR pretty good from a slightly modified mag depending on whether you are running short or longer 6mmbr loaded rounds. Also there is a pretty standard mag conversion for the rem700 short actions which will work great for the longer loaded rounds like 107grainers. It's just the short varmint bullets that can jam up occasionally on the breech face in the 700 action. I have done numerous 6mmbr rifles on both these actions. The Howa short action is another one that works quite well, if you prefer a staggered type internal mag system.
    Everyone has the right to their own opinion, but that doesn't mean that every opinion is right.

I've had 2 6BR repeaters now (on on a T3 and one on a R700)and now have 20Br on a Stiller and none of them make a good repeater!

The issue with the BR case for a repeater is quite complex. Its not just the "feeding". There are challenges with loading, feeding, chambering and ejection.

I doubt any BR repeater has all four of these right!

The Tikka with single stack mag is not immune to feeding problems and my 6br with 70g was a real pain with the feeding case base sliding down the shoulder of the the underlying case causing the case to rotate upwards and lodge in the corner of the receiver/barrel face. The Tikka's are also useless to single feed as you have to poke the bullet right up into the chamber as it will not push feed in as the bullet hits the barrel end below the chamber and stops dead! The small loading port does not help on the T3, though the 595's are a little bigger.

Top loading the BR case in the R700 mag box is also an issue as the case often tips forward and jamming. Tweeking of the stop point of the Z spring is needed and a 0.5mm difference can have a big effect on this, but I cant totally eliminate it

Ejection with the R700 plunger ejector is another problem, as the case is so short that the acute angle means the case base loses contact with the ejector plunger and the case falls off the bolt head before ejecting. Put a Sako ejector on fixes that as the ejection angle is higher and misses the bolt lug cutout, but then you can have problems with the ejecting case hitting the scope turrets! The acute angle also means the case neck end gets damaged in the ejection process.

My 20Br has a problem with chambering, as the projectile tip catches in the corner of the chamber side/shoulder. A small pause then re-push and it goes in, but you cant always get a clean forward push, and I suspect it could damaging the tip if stopped when fast reloading. I understand this is a common problem with many of the Ackley improved cases due to the 40 deg shoulder, and not unique to the BR case. ( I always thought the reference to the Ackley improved cases having a problem with "feeding" was related to feeding out of the mag, but I think its probably more to do with that 40 deg shoulder in the chamber presenting a face for the bullet tip to stop on)

A few guys with Savage actions say their actions feed flawlessly with the factory Savage BR mag... but so have plenty with Rem 700's. I'd be interested to try one, but cant bring myself to buy one due to a agricultural look and feel of them!

A Sako 75 might be one of the better repeater actions to build one on, as it does not have the plunger ejector which is one of the big issues with the short case.

6*47, 6XC or plain jane 6mm/22-250 would be a much better option, but I understand why you want to use the BR case, it’s the optimum case capacity for a balance of performance, low recoil (so u don’t loose your sight picture), reduced barrel heat/wear (for high volume shooting), small powder capacity so ligher suppressor (I'm using 220 g A-TEC's on mine), accuracy and excellent brass (20+ reloads with no signs of fatigue).

NB in my 22" 6Br 1:8 twist rifle the 95's were doing 3050 fps, but I could only get 2750 fps out of the 105's and the accuracy wasn't good! I suspect I needed to go back down to 2600 to find the lower accuracy node with the 105's, so short barrel and fast twist not ideal.

Be warned...

Cheers

Grant
    7mmsaum and rossi.45 like this.

Very interesting reading the information here. I see a lot of people in the US use BRX and BR dasher for PRS comps because of less recoil and accuracy. Don't see many of those in NZ.

I have a 6mmBR on a ruger No 1 25" barrel solves feeding and is still short, there are two options for a Sako 75 first is my favourite a 6mm Remington the magazine will take cartridges 2.90" long
    so bullets up tp 95 grains,
    Second is the 6mm Creedmore will fit with 107 grain bullets cases and dies are readily available has better accuracy potential than the .243

How about 6mm Remington?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I have heard of new Ai type mags or kits for those mags that can be used with br cases, but I don't know how reliable they are .
    I think Borden rifles is producing something as well :https://bordenrifles.com/category/news/

Years ago I built myself a a very light weight deer rifle 6mmBR on an old shot out Tikka LSA 55 I fitted a new donor .243win barrel from a Sako Finlight and it shot 90gr Nosler BTs very well.
    I had read all the warnings of how badly this cartridge fed in repeaters but I was still keen to give it a go.
    I finally did get it functioning perfectly after a lot of faffing around with the mag and feed ramp etc but the biggest win on getting it to feed was cutting a deep throat to seat bullets out as long as you can.
    Ballistics are fine on any game a .243Win is.

Untitled-13

IMG-2830

After selling it I always wanted another one but only just got around to building another one this year. This time I chambered it in 6mm Dasher Norma with a 1-9" twist shooting 95gr Nosler BTs and it performs great! the slightly longer fire formed case behaves a lot better with the feeding but still drops the odd case back into the action instead of ejecting it due to its short length.

20190810-092943

20190815-143327

20190826-155129
    GWH likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    How about 6mm Remington?
    I would like one in a fast twist for the heavies. Need a medium or long action I think.
    On a short action I would prolly go for 6 creed, 6xc or 6 x 47 for ease of feeding.

Those short stumpy brs would be a cool trick to pull off well though

6mm Creed for me