Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By Carpe Diem
  • 1 Post By rossi.45

Thread: Best place to get 300BLK rounds in NZ?

Best place to get 300BLK rounds in NZ?

Hi all,

I'm just after some opinions on where to buy quality 300BLK/Whisper rounds in NZ? I see belmont do some at a good price, how are they for quality? They also only do supersonic rounds, what is the best option as far as subs goes? After a bit of research the best I've found is guncity @ 100 rounds for $240 hornady A-max. Anywhere else I should be looking? I'm trying to avoid the remington stuff as reviews of it don't seem very favorable.

Cheers,

A mate was getting good groups with the Factory remington 220gr subs but now I reload for him.
    If your really serious about the 300 Blackout, reloading is the best way to go. Running subs i get 771 rounds out of a 500g tin of powder. For a cheap playing around shoot paper, balloons, steel and goats round costs $0.82 a round without the price of brass, as I already have a hole lot of 223rem cut down into 300 blackout and can be cheaper if you use lead bullets. But for the good deer slayer subsonic ammo with the Lehigh Defence 194gr Maximum Expansion projectiles cost me $2.93 to reload. I have only had my rifle 10 months and fired nearly 1500 rounds.

Question what rifle you using?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Bill999 and Carpe Diem like this.

Using an AR15. And yeah, reloading is the way I will be going but I wanted to try out a few factory loads before then so I can get a feel for things. That and I haven't got the money to purchase a reloading setup right now after building the rifle. I'm definitely keen on some Lehigh rounds, I'll take a look into getting some in eventually. I'll have a go with the remington stuff I guess if you recommend them

Are you using an AR15 by the way? If so how do the Lehigh rounds feed? I've read that there can be some problems with them. Anyway my impatience has gotten the better of me once again as per usual... just ordered 100 of the belmont rounds and 100 american eagle 220gr subs... that'll keep me busy for a while hopefully!

Have you tried @Spanners ?

Nope but I'm keen to hear from anyone on the topic

Quote Originally Posted by clavulanate View Post
    Are you using an AR15 by the way? If so how do the Lehigh rounds feed? I've read that there can be some problems with them. Anyway my impatience has gotten the better of me once again as per usual... just ordered 100 of the belmont rounds and 100 american eagle 220gr subs... that'll keep me busy for a while hopefully!
    I am just using a 12" barrelled bolt action and mates got a standard Rem 700 300 BLK now solely running 208gr A-Max he head shot a sow in the weekend 60m away.
    Don't know how the AR boy are getting on with the Lehigh subs.
    I will end up getting AR latter on, perfect for the double tap and mobs of goats.

I was quite interested in the lehigh stuff for shooting rabbits/possums on the orchards around here where I go... it'll make a hell of a mess but if they open up they should slow down really quickly I'd imagine? Ideally it would be a bit safer ultimately

I've got Le High Max expansion rounds - subs with less than 10gr of ADI 9.8 works well for my Ruger Ranch.
    PM me with your details and I'll send you a couple to try. Seating projectiles isn't an issue as you're only partially filling the cartridge and I've had no issues fitting it to the mag length that is fine with the SAMI COAL directives.

Biggest issue Ive found is getting the lip of the throat the right length so you don't get it catching on the feed ramp (sorted now went to mid length guideline trimming based on shoulder using WFT) and using too much powder that it bulges the cartridge with my supersonic loads trying to get up close to the max. Lost a few cases through over filling.

Any other Q's gimmee a PM but the factory stuff all groups shite. Best results have been SMK's 125gr and Hunting Nosler 125's and 168's are OK.

BTW they do (the projectiles what it says on the tin - Very messy for Possums and rabbits, turns possums pretty much inside out - The entrails become the extrails...
    Tommy likes this.

Thanks for the info! Pm'd you about some ammo

while not using the BLK i play with .30cal subs . . . i would recommend anyone to use a scope that has mildots plus dialable and a good phone app such as Strelok with a rangefinder. Then you can push the range out to its full potential.

enjoy . .. R
    Nga likes this.