Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Bullet seating depths

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    This ^^^ is exactly what I do for the same reasons.
    I have tried the berger 30thou seating test twice for good results also as I've shown on a different thread before. However you are giving up alot of case capacity very fast going in at 30thou at a time.
    Pretty much follow this start off at 20 thou or mag length for powder test/pressure.

Sometimes try out to 120 thou, also depending on how projectile
    sits in case, I.e not sitting right out or jammed in.

Have a small RCBS partner press that can take to range with box of preloaded max length loads. Once fine tuned 3 thou increments(also push past node) you just push rest down to your desired length.
    7mm Rem Mag, RugerM77 and 6.5 CRD like this.

3 thou change in bullet seating depth can make a big difference in group size in an "accurate" rifle, I'm talking 1/4" or less agging rifle here.
    If a rifle is only grouping around 1/2 - 3/4" then you probably won't notice the difference a 3 thou seating depth change will make.

With my hunting rifles I use 10thou changes to find the general seating depth the rifle likes then once I find that the seating depth changes are less to fine tune the load.

The biggest tuning help is a solid front rest and rear bag, I'm trying to shoot the best groups the rifle is capable of, not find out if I can shoot
    Another thing you should use is something to tell you what the wind is doing, if you aren't using something to indicate what the wind is doing it's like aiming the rifle closing your eyes and pulling the trigger. a simple bit of ribbon on a stake is better than nothing.
    jackson21 and 7mm Rem Mag like this.