Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CIP vs SAAMI

CIP vs SAAMI

Anyone know the difference (and why) for maximum load pressures?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

CIP is continental and SAAMI is US. They are measured slightly differently and the max pressure for some cartridges may differ as I understand it.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    CIP is continental and SAAMI is US. They are measured slightly differently and the max pressure for some cartridges may differ as I understand it.
    GPM.
    They definitely do differ. That was why I asked.
    In the 223rem CIP is 7000psi higher then SAAMI, and in the 308win CIP is 2000psi lower???

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    They definitely do differ. That was why I asked.
    In the 223rem CIP is 7000psi higher then SAAMI, and in the 308win CIP is 2000psi lower???
    CIP is not measured in PSI but in M Pa or Bar so they have been converted. The US is the only country still using PSI. There are good descriptions on the differences on the net. For many years pressures were measured in Copper Units of Pressure formally called PSI (pounds force per square inch often abbreviated). these are different as well with no simple conversion.
    GPM.

With high pressure air tanks, there is a different standard in the US vs Europe too.

Can't remember which way around it is... Either it's the US testing bottles to a higher pressure (like 50% over what they're rated for) which freaks out the Europeans who therefore don't allow US tested HPA bottles to be used (fearing the testing might somehow compromise the bottles)... Or the US testing isn't high enough pressure and the Europeans therefore aren't convinced US tested bottles have demonstrated they can withstand potential mishaps.

Either way, different side of the pond, different standards. CIP is just the standard to which European firearms get proofed - in different units and using different equipment. That might require a CIP stamped firearm to have been tested with a proof cartridge that's hotter than that same cartridge would need to be, if it were submitted to SAAMI.
    Shearer likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Cip our cup? Cup is copper unit of pressure I believe.

Nevermind I see a good answer above now
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I think the units they are measure in are irrelevant to what I am talking about. The point is, these are maximum pressures for operating in small arms. Why does one think it is safe to operate at a much higher pressure than the other? and vice versa in other cases? It seem like an industry double standard.

Unless you have some very special test equipment its kinda irrelevant anyway is it not?
    Micky Duck likes this.

Not a double standard
    Just a different standard

Like people continents are allowed to dissagre also
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Looking at that it appears Cip have raised it the the same as 5.66nato so that using that ammo in 223rem would be safe....but I speculate

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Unless you have some very special test equipment its kinda irrelevant anyway is it not?
    I am not losing sleep over this or anything but when you use Quickload or GRT in developing a load it can make quite a difference to where you think a safe maximum might load be.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Not a double standard
    Just a different standard

Like people continents are allowed to dissagre also
    I understand you can have different standards, but it is not consistent when one cartridge is rated at a higher maximum pressure by one organization but another cartridge is rated lower. I assumed these figures were come to by scientific testing. Science is universal and it shouldn't matter what continent you are on.

I think we need to remember that these are different standards measured with different equipment in a different way. We can't just convert one to the other and expect the same result. We are not talking about science but about measurement. with the differences in measurement methods I would be surprised if they were the same. Non US cartridges are often chronically underloaded in the US so the differences in these can be vast. To me it is a non issue.
    GPM

Greetings,
    I may have stumbled over the big difference with the .223. Much of the sporting .223 ammo in the US is shot in semi auto rifles where port pressure is important. On the continent this is not the case so the ammo may be loaded hotter. Military ammo works to a different pressure system and the chambers are slightly different. Just my thoughts and I have not dug into it.
    GPM.