Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By 257weatherby

Thread: Crimping ttsx's

Crimping ttsx's

Hi, i have got a wicked load with 168 ttsx's in my rifle and i would like to keep using them. But in the field they started throwing a bit and i couldn't work out why. trouble is they seem to be very fragile and don't like to be knocked about much. Unless i single feed they are all moving back and the coal is dropping down quite a bit. because they are ribbed I'm not sure if there is a way i can crimp them or something to stop this happening. Anyone had any experience with this?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

More neck tension?
    My load with 130s only had maybe 2mm held in the neck and had no problems with them moving

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Rounds in a magazine are subject to significant forces under recoil. This can cause the projectile to move if the neck tension isn't enough.

Changing the neck tension should/could change the pressure and performance of the "wicked" load. Watch the pressure if you change this.

I hard to change the tension on he 223 Maximus. The brass had thinned out in the necks and the Colette Die wouldn't give enough, I put the decapping rod in the drill and give it a rub with some emery paper to take a little off.

Hey mate

I load 150gr ttsx in my 7mmRM, I use a taper crimp to hold them in place and they don't move under recoil, advantage of this is you don't need a cannelure to crimp them.

Bear in mind that I had always intended them as a hunting load so they were developed from word go with a crimp, crimping an already developed load will change the pressures slightly so you probably will have to do some more development if you go this route.

Good luck!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

sneakywaza I got
    Have loaded thousands of rounds in a number of different calibres and rifles, never crimped one yet, including in heavy recoil rifles, not a fan of crimping.
    veitnamcam likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    My previous post, I was refering to TTSX bullets,

-2506 Rem, 100gn TTSX@3400
    -.257 Wby, 100gn TTSX@3600
    -270 Win, 110gn TTSX@3300
    -270 Win, 130gn TTSX@3100
    -270 WSM, 110gn TTSX@3400
    -270 WSM, 130gn TTSX@3200
    -7mm Rem Mag, 120gn TTSX@3500
    -7mm Rem Mag, 140gn TTSX@3250
    -308 Win, 110gn TTSX@3100
    -308 Win, 130gn TTSX@3100
    -300 Wby, 130gn TTSX@3600
    -300 Wby, 150gn TTSX@3400

Some of those are stiff recoiling loads, none of the above have ever been crimped, the .30 cals don't get much neck unless you want huge jump, especially the factory Wby. The problem is either an anomaly in your box of projectiles (which would affect thousands of others using the same batch) or a problem with your dies/technique. Never loaded the mid range or heavy for calibre Barnes myself, seems completely pointless given how the Barnes are designed to kill, would be interested to learn the cartridge being loaded and the seating depth/OAL
    veitnamcam likes this.

With regards to the the aforementioned post; who does run the .270@110 gn and/or the .308@ 130gr? TTSX.
    I am using the 130 ' s in my 308.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Dan M

I use 130 TSX...make good holes and everything I have shot where I wanted to has dropped right there, plenty accurate enough to place them where I want. One animal I shot through rear of liver ran about 40 meters, gave the dog a bit of work.

I rate them

Cheers

Dino
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Run 130s for close work out of 308,boot em up the arse as hard as you can. magic less than 350y
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.