Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Defective Winchester LR primers

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    "There have been no reported issues with any other Winchester primer types; just certain batches of WLR bought from Graf & Son in America and distributed locally by a company other than the official Winchester agent."

From a,now on line retailers web page.
    Is anybody able to disprove this statement? Has anyone brought primers from the official distributor (previously Cameron Sports, now Kilwell Sports) through their retailer and found them defective?

Ejected
    Thanks for the replys. Just to add some more info.

Should the retailer sort this out? Yes they should but they are one of the better gunshops in Canterbury and as someone said this is only $100 worth of product so I don't personally think it's worth going nato over this particular info.
    Are the nickle plated Winchester primers defective? In the 10 odd years I have been reloading I didn't know nickel plated primers existed so yes I think any nickel plated Winchester LR primer predates this problem.

I went back to the retailer and relayed what Winchester said. Two things happened which was they burst out laughing and then ran into the workshop and pulled out four bolts that he was welding up due to gas cutting from this problem. These are bolts from NRA shooters using NRA supplied ammo so not some dodgy back yard handloads. I will attach the photo when I get home.

Winchester have since come back and said they are aware of the problem but when they tested a defective batch of primers they couldn't replicate the fault so they don't think it "offically" exists. I am in contact with Kilwell sports to see if they will honor the warrenty of primers brought from Cameron.

The gunshop said he though the problem was in the annealing of the brass of the primer cups. When the cups are then formed there are stress cracks in the corners which leads to the problem.

Winchester need to stand behind their product and issue a recall is my opinion. If we make enough noise they will. I personally are never buying another Winchester reloading component again in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    . I personally are never buying another Winchester reloading component again in my life.

It's pretty short-sighted. Instead of sorting out a relatively inexpensive problem, they will alienate a whole swathe of active shooters, who when asked for any advice, will tell anyone within hearing range not to touch Winchester stuff. Smart move..

And that's before you take their factory loads into account too. http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...s-issue-22347/

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    It's pretty short-sighted. Instead of sorting out a relatively inexpensive problem, they will alienate a whole swathe of active shooters, who when asked for any advice, will tell anyone within hearing range not to touch Winchester stuff. Smart move..

And that's before you take their factory loads into account too. http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...s-issue-22347/
    Exactly, for the sake of 10k of product (guessing at the amount) they have ruined their reputation in NZ and Australia but I guess it's hard to admit when you have a problem.

Bolt face damage with Winchester LR primers

In the attached photograph, taken in February 2013, are three bolts from NRA .308 Win match rifles, all are built on Millenium actions.

Bolt #1 has fired 285 rounds.
    Bolt #2 has fired 112 rounds
    Bolt #3 has fired 18 rounds

All cases fired were primed with Winchester LR primers sourced from the NRA.

All three bolts were replaced with new ones and in the following 2½ years the three rifles have fired many hundreds of rounds using LR primers of brands OTHER than Winchester and all three bolts faces are in excellent condition.

This photograph along with detailed information was supplied to the NRA and to date there has been no response or feedback.
    "Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting"

I followed the FAQ instructions carefully to upload the photo but it's not there so if anyone can tell me how I can try again.

On pc click the little box with the picture of a tree top middleish of the reply box and select upload from computer.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Name:  IMG_0258.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  467.3 KB

With help from Cam we will try again, thanks.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post

With help from Cam we will try again, thanks.
    I think my photo is of the same bolts. Kilwell have just e-mailed me and said that I can return the LR primers for a replacement. I have requested something other than Winchester LR primers as a replacement given that they don't know what the bad batches are...

So go send all those primers back. If a retailer tells you you can't then show them this thread.

Spoke to the kilwell rep and emailed him photos of some cases and the 3 little pits in my bolt head. The primers were bought through a store when Cameron's had the agency. Story I got was though Cameron's were the agents they got the primers through a third party who parallell imported them there are multiple batch nos but many are not traceable. He is arranging replacement of the 1000 even though only 600 are left which is good enough for me. I'll continue using the old ones in light loads as they don't want them back.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Spoke to the kilwell rep and emailed him photos of some cases and the 3 little pits in my bolt head. The primers were bought through a store when Cameron's had the agency. Story I got was though Cameron's were the agents they got the primers through a third party who parallell imported them there are multiple batch nos but many are not traceable. He is arranging replacement of the 1000 even though only 600 are left which is good enough for me. I'll continue using the old ones in light loads as they don't want them back.
    What a load of bollicks. How can they be parallel imported if they came through the official NZ distributor. Good to hear they are replacing them though. To me this just sounds like more FUD, "yes there are problems but it was only with a small batch of parallel imported primers so you should all continue to give us your money and buy Winchester LR primers".

They should pay to have your bolt fixed as well. I thankfully don't have that problem.

Here is a Winchester Primer from two days ago. Hand load for a .260. Right cheek powder burn which matched nicely to the left from a suppressor bullet stike in baffles resulting in a lot of powder being ejected onto the left side of face. Lucky was wearing glasses in both instances.

Not a great week all in all considering also noted split cases on .17 CCI at a ratio of one to 10. That is the CCI A17 ammo designed for new .17 Savage Semi Auto.
    Name:  winchester Primers.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  137.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Here is a Winchester Primer from two days ago. Hand load for a .260. Right cheek powder burn which matched nicely to the left from a suppressor bullet stike in baffles resulting in a lot of powder being ejected onto the left side of face. Lucky was wearing glasses in both instances.

Not a great week all in all considering also noted split cases on .17 CCI at a ratio of one to 10. That is the CCI A17 ammo designed for new .17 Savage Semi Auto.
    Attachment 54913

That sucks Headcase

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post

Attachment 54913
    That does suck, I thought everyone had given up on those primers years ago.

How does the CCI A17 ammo differ from other 17 ammo?
    Kiwi Greg likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have some winchester primers, didn't know any better when I brought them. Will use my cci and leave the winchester at the bottom of the drawer, will find a use sometime I. The future