Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dillion 1050 Q's

Dillion 1050 Q's

Hi All,
    Im looking at upgrading my Hornady L&L AP for a dillon 1050, my main driver is the ability to be able to swage on the press with all this crimped 223 brass around.

Are they all they are cracked up to be? $2500 is a lot of press and you will obviously need to shoot a lot to make it worth while, I guess I am hoping to upgrade to something top of the line and hope it will last me forever.

Where are the cheapest place to get them? local or import?

Hi Fletch,
    What were you thinking of swaging? I,ve seen afew youtube vids (by Edge company) on converting empty 22 shells to 224 cal projectiles which were done on a standard RCBS rockchucker press without the need for an expensive Dillion & the pressure excerted for the 3 different stages would be considerable. It's somthing I'm REALLY keen on doing as I love using as much of any cartridges lying about (including berdan primed) as I can but getting the dies from the States for this conversion is expensive. For the extra cost of the Dillons gear it's just not worth it for me. ------Phil.

A 1050 seems a little OTT at $2500 for personal use. I think our club has a 650 fully kitted out and a fair bit of club ammo on it every week.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

res
    I have made a few thousand .223 on a mates 1050 and it is truly a pleasure to use, but it's very slow to change calibers compared to a 650etc so he has another press to do everything else on.
    It is very fast to use when you add on all the extra gizmos but the cost go's thru the roof! The ammo that comes off it is as good as I can make on a single stage press.
    The primer swaging is awesome!
    It's worth keeping in mind that it does not have the same warranty as the other Dillon presses.

I plan to buy one as I shoot a lot of 223 so the time saving is worth more to me than the cost of buying one. If I had not been spoiled buy using one I doubt I could justify the cost.
    Using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, you'd be better off buying the Super Swage 600 and a Dillon 650 and save yourself some considerable coin.
    The 650 turns out great 223 ammo.
    carlhurley and steven like this.

Yeah I have a hornady progressive now and it loads fine, its just a pain to have to add a second task to swage the primer pocket on 1000x 223 brass when it can be done on the press.

I could spend $200 on a super swage, but maybe its worth putting the money up front and getting a press that does it all.

I didnt know the warranty was different, the warranty on my Hornday is Awesome and top marks to them for it.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    I didnt know the warranty was different, the warranty on my Hornday is Awesome and top marks to them for it.
    They consider it to be a commercial press so expect it to be run all day every day.

Pm Herbmister on sportshooter to have a good chat about the ins and outs-it's his I have used
    Using Tapatalk

I've got a 1050 for 9mm, and the swaging thing is great. Some 9mm smg rounds have the primer crimp & the 1050 just rolls them on thru.
    But I load a lot of 9mm, it is a lot of money for a 223 loader & you don't want to be changing calibre.
    I use a 650 & separate Dillon swager for 223 & it's not a big deal.
    But if you have $ they are quick!

k30
    Whats your guys opinion on a Dillon 550B, is it a progressive press and does it have the swager as mentioned in above posts? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    Hi Fletch,
    What were you thinking of swaging? I,ve seen afew youtube vids (by Edge company) on converting empty 22 shells to 224 cal projectiles which were done on a standard RCBS rockchucker press without the need for an expensive Dillion & the pressure excerted for the 3 different stages would be considerable. It's somthing I'm REALLY keen on doing as I love using as much of any cartridges lying about (including berdan primed) as I can but getting the dies from the States for this conversion is expensive. For the extra cost of the Dillons gear it's just not worth it for me. ------Phil.
    I think he means the primer pocket swager facility on the 1050,not swaging bullets.
    FletchNZ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by k30 View Post
    Whats your guys opinion on a Dillon 550B, is it a progressive press and does it have the swager as mentioned in above posts? Cheers
    I'll let you know when I get mine sorted...its in the bnib in the garage
    P38 likes this.

Ive looked at the 550B and that and the Hornady lock'n'load AP would be possibilities, 550B is a lot cheaper than the Hornady AP. I have had a Lee progressive and it was awful, probably because it wasnt man enough for large caliber rifle cases, for pistol its probably OK.

My club got given a ex demo Hornady lock-n-load AP so Im going to give it a go on .223 (when I get an Ar15) and see what I think.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

There has been a 1050 on trade me on and off set up for 223 for about $2K I think.
    I reload my 223 on one of my Dillon 550B. I have a Dillon 600 super swage to sort the primer pockets.

If you load 10K plus rounds a year get the 1050.
    If you load 5K plus rounds a year get the 650 and the super swage.
    Anything less get the 550B and the super swage.

Yeah I saw that 1050 on tm, for that price you might has well spend $200 more you might as well buy new in box

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    45South has one (I think) that he was trying to sell. New, 2nd hand (not used AFAIK). Might be worth sending a PM to him?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more