Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chainsaw
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By Kelton

Thread: ELDM - tips breaking off

ELDM - tips breaking off

I've found that at least the box of 80gr ELDMs I used for the rounds I'm shooting right now is faulty and the tips break or fall off very easily. Does not help function or consistency.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, have you tried Steve's wholesale or anyone else for a replacement? I've got 1300 and I'll be slightly upset if they're all duds.

that rough bud...guess at worst case you can assist the buggers to fall off and have a hollow point again.... keep us posted how you get on.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I've found that at least the box of 80gr ELDMs I used for the rounds I'm shooting right now is faulty and the tips break or fall off very easily. Does not help function or consistency.

Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, have you tried Steve's wholesale or anyone else for a replacement? I've got 1300 and I'll be slightly upset if they're all duds.
    Superglue them?
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Well at least they don’t “melt” !?
    I’d be very pissed off if I had a few boxes or more which were defective. Are the boxes you have purchased all same lot no ?
    I’d be take it up with supplier & ask for replacement or refund if product is faulty.
    Imagine you won’t be the only one if product is faulty
    Sika stag and Micky Duck like this.

I have few tips broken off the bullet from factory for batches post covid, about 1 in 500. Those tips are not even included in the bag.

The BC will significantly change without the tip so be careful with that when you shooting long range.

@gimp a mates just had a dud batch of 180eldm shapes were all up the warzo and seating was a joke they were replaced as faulty with no hassles
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm at approx. 20% of these tips breaking off from 100 rounds. Popped a couple off my remaining rounds just by pressing on the tip, others came off cycling through the rifle.

Well when I see the poor quality control they have on brass and powder charge in match factory ammo I’m not surprised… I had no issue with the 180eldm yet but already considering using Berger once I run out assuming I can find some…

@gimp yep I've struck it with the 7mm 180's. The 1st three boxes I got all had 1 or 2 with broken tips. I emailed Hornady with pictures and they had Steve send out a replacement box which also had 1 broken tip in it.
    I've used heaps of 162 and 208 amaxes and I cant recall any with broken tips out of the box.

Yea my 180s have being sweet as so far given the cost of them and how easy my friends experience was getting box’s replaced I will continue to use them
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Looks like it's lot #2191797. Of which I have 2 boxes.

Could be others too, I have not opened all my boxes to test.

I'd recommend checking the tips of any 80gr ELDMs you may have from that lot number.

I've load 3 boxes of 80gr ELD-M with no issues, only started using them last couple of months.