Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Hornady SST

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    If anyone can show me wound photos of a sst wound launched at typical for cal velocitys where it obviosly "pencilled threw" at less than 600 yards i will eat my phone and my sweaty cock.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Fixed it for you
    SlimySquirrel and Happy like this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    Fixed it for you
    If I could do that I would have no need of a wife.
    Pengy and Happy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

That's something I don't need to see

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Put 139gn SST's thru my .280.

Shoot similar groups to you there, but if I really try can do a ragged 3 shot hole.

5 shot groups are sub moa if I do my part, but never achieved a 5 shot ragged hole. My shooting isn't good enough.

I'm not one to muck about with loads. Have a SST load and a Sierra 140gn SBT Gameking load. Only because I got given two boxes of SBT projectiles.

Everything I have shot at dies unless I miss. 20m to 500m. SST's do make a mess.

Some people say on big animals SST's explode and don't penetrate. Personally I haven't had that problem. Shoot big bodies animals regularly.
    Men with more dead animals on the deck win the arguments

Men complaining of pencilling animals and not retrieving them loose
    Danny likes this.
    Addicted to gun powder

I tried them on a few fallow out of my 7mm-08 using the 140gr and they exploded each time causing a lot of meat damage, dropped the deer though. I cut a rabbit in half with one as well.

I would not call sst's a true long range pill, but VERY effective open country mid range 100 - 600 yds (1800fps). I have never had an issue with pencilling. But the sst construction and jacket are tough compared to pills AMAX or the like. I use 154SST's in 7mm (7x64 & 7mmRM), 150 sst's in 308 and 165SST's in 300 wsm for the open country. Bush hunting cant go past the good ol Partitions. Long range for = amax or Bergers.
    JoshC, PERRISCICABA and Woody like this.

Am I missing something or are A-MAX projectiles Target bullets or Hunting bullets? A big hollow point and thin jacket must make them explosive.

BTW has anyone used the old norma plastic points? I found these devastating on goats/deer if inferior to SSTs in ballistic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I would not call sst's a true long range pill, but VERY effective open country mid range 100 - 600 yds (1800fps). I have never had an issue with pencilling. But the sst construction and jacket are tough compared to pills AMAX or the like. I use 154SST's in 7mm (7x64 & 7mmRM), 150 sst's in 308 and 165SST's in 300 wsm for the open country. Bush hunting cant go past the good ol Partitions. Long range for = amax or Bergers.

And 600m is an f'n long way for most people (myself included) in a hunting situation in often less than ideal weather conditions
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Another session tonight. Pulled the second shot though.
    I will get there.

Name:  2015-10-26 17.09.14.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  706.7 KB
    Pengy and PERRISCICABA like this.

I love SST's, shoot the 150's and 165's factory super performance through 308, Very accurate and get the job done. Best shot was a Sika at 408m and left him on the same place he was standing.
    Have another mate who doesn't like them, and I have also done plenty of bad shots that have required follow ups, wouldn't have mattered what ammo was as my shooting at fault.
    As said above, at end of the day it's just a peice of lead and more important factors are finding animals, getting into a good position to take a shot and where it hits animal.
    gadgetman likes this.

This might be of interest.

The Bruce referred to is me. I had posted it onto the other NZ forum after a Tahr hunt a few years ago (2006) , and this person picked it up and posted it onto this yank forum.

Recovered Hornady SST from Tahr (PICS) - Topic

I'm a bit baffled with the pencilling? Shot shitloads of goats with them up close and they normally seem to open up and expend all their energy inside animal like they're supposed to. Might be a velocity thing though were 308 a bit slower and larger diameter helps opposed to say 6.5-7mm bullet going faster maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    I'm a bit baffled with the pencilling? Shot shitloads of goats with them up close and they normally seem to open up and expend all their energy inside animal like they're supposed to. Might be a velocity thing though were 308 a bit slower and larger diameter helps opposed to say 6.5-7mm bullet going faster maybe?
    There is no penciling unless loaded right down like subsonic.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

They shouldn't pencil. Nosler BT and SST are about the same. Both are on the soft end of the spectrum, so neither should pencil.