Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hornady vs Nosler vs Norma brass.

With my 243 i just got some factory ammo that was close to a load i had in mind that was available at the time and shot it at a target to see how it would go and that also gave me fire formed brass to start with. I do that with most of my rifles.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Haha. I just sold the Sako and the Anschutz. I will surprise you with what I got next time you are back
    Will look forward to it.
    You sold the Sako .243? I thought that was a keeper.
    The member formally known as Spitfire

I would opt for Hornady in that case. Easy to get more, adequate for the job, no biggie when a few go bush.
    Shearer likes this.

For the 243 Starline is a bloody good option. I'm using it to great effect in mine. I normally buy a few boxes of ammo and then reload but with this priced so well it didn't make sense at the time.

Very consistent, handles pressure well and is cheap as chips by comparison. Delta Mike stock it.

But of the three options you've listed, I would go with Norma. Yes it's softer than some but it's very consistent and you'll get plenty of reloads out of it. I'm reloading Norma on my PRC and yeah I get ejector marks, but I'm going on 6 firings (should probably anneal soon) with some of it and the primer pockets are tight and the necks look good.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Will look forward to it.
    You sold the Sako .243? I thought that was a keeper.
    Yes. The pretty Sako is now on a safari park further south
    It had been a safe queen for long enough.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I’ve run a variety of brass in lots of different calibres. In non mag calibres (6506ai, 708, 308, 284, 280ai) I’ve found Hornady ok, on a par with RP, FC, etc and less variation in weight than Win brass. In bigger non mags like 6506ai, 284 & 280ai I found I can run higher loads in Norma & Lapua as brass is thinner, greater internal volume, so you don’t hit pressure as soon. Nosler in 284 was similar to Norma but back then Norma was making the Nosler brass. As others have stated Nosler maybe using someone else these days?
    In magnum (7RM) I’ve found some Hornady has tendency to split necks after 1-2 firings. This is brass re-cycled from factory ammo. I concluded that there’s quite a bit of variation in their brass in 7RM from factory ammo. Perhaps batch related? Or maybe cheap brass in their Whitetail brand ammo vs Superformance brand ?

from the options u mention - Norma if u benching and pushing for groupings and worried about 1/4min of angle. Cheapest most widely available if hunting when within 1/4 Min of buck is Ok
    However Lapua brass is my favourite- Im a big fan of lapua brass mostly cause my 1st 6.5 was a 6.5 x47 this was before Creedmoor and the 260 came about Lapua was only mob making brass for it, for my 338 Lap Mag only brass when i got it available was Lapua- seems to last longer and forms easier cases are virtually all the same weight but at the price u wanna carry a metal detector in the bush to find dropped cases

weigh your brass whatever u decide on - sort it into batches of same weight when u load develop , it does make a difference how they group (apparently to do with thickness of brass being consistent etc. or so the benchresters tells me)