Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: New Sako 85 .308 load needed please

Looking at the Super perforance ammo, its another step up in factory ammo. My 308 is 24 inch, so the 150sst is going somewhere darn close to 3000 fps and groups at least .8. Whats actually better...reloading and getting maybe 2800fps ish and grouping .5 - .6 or so groups that in a sako may (might not) be getting .7 out of the factory and getting higher MV ?? I recken for a hunting round the factory ammo prob gets better perforance than reloading as the extra speed and energy produced out weighs the tiny difference in groups as in the end its normally the 3 shot that flies to give me the group. My first two shots often keyhole or darn close and 3rds a flyer that still produce a group well under a inch but going faster than most reloads as most arent getting 2900fps plus are they?? Just saying, correct me if im wrong, not a reloader of course so i could be talking crap out of my arsehole

If your facts are correct, then that's a hell of a good load out of a 308 WIN.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    If your facts are correct, then that's a hell of a good load out of a 308 WIN.
    Thats what i was thinking, and it is correct. The factory 150sst are going 3000fps and the 165 sst is going 2840fps. (NB which is 20fps faster than a standard 150gr 308 round!)
    I use both in my 308 and both group about the same . I wouldnt class myself a top shot or the Rem 700 as awesome but they grouping very well for a hunting round. I think a sako could quite well shoot better (and in better hands) and my point was if that is the case why would you reload 150ssts when the perforance of the extra speed Hornady has managed in factory might just out perform reloads. I mean the first two shots normally group far better than the 3rd so the first shot is what counts so theres nothing in it between factory and reloads is there if you using the same projectile?? The factory could quite well be shooting a higher MV with the same projectile so as theres nothing in it in the groups it must perform better one would think?
    Last edited by deer243; 19-03-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Deer 243, don't fall into the trap that because your particular rifle follows a certain pattern that someone else's rifle will do the same.

The Super performance SST load appears to be unbeatable for velocity. The disadvantage with this factory load is that the bullets are seated up to the cannelure and this a long way from the lands; at least in most rifles. This normally doesn't produce the best accuracy. It may not and probably doesn't make the slightest bit of difference in the field though.

Higher velocity will also have some negatives, such as increased throat erosion, increased recoil etc. Personally, I haven't used a factory load in any of my rifles (rimfire excepted) for over forty years. I don't trust factory loaded ammo while I trust my own loads implicitly.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Deer 243, don't fall into the trap that because your particular rifle follows a certain pattern that someone else's rifle will do the same.

The Super performance SST load appears to be unbeatable for velocity. The disadvantage with this factory load is that the bullets are seated up to the cannelure and this a long way from the lands; at least in most rifles. This normally doesn't produce the best accuracy. It may not and probably doesn't make the slightest bit of difference in the field though.

Higher velocity will also have some negatives, such as increased throat erosion, increased recoil etc. Personally, I haven't used a factory load in any of my rifles (rimfire excepted) for over forty years. I don't trust factory loaded ammo while I trust my own loads implicitly.
    I totally understand that different rifles like different things and each is different. Generally a sako shoots quite well, it may or it may not shoot the factory hornady well but if it does it makes sence to use it.
    Secondly, Hornady claim they have managed the extra MV with no increase in recoil at all from standard ammo. I can confirm that is the case, theres no difference from standard ammo as i was using Rem corelolts and the recoil is the same .
    Thirdly, accruracy in factory ammo has come a lot way from years ago. Hornady Super perforance is accrurate. Cant see why a better rifle than my Rem 700 bedded properly etc wont shoot better than the .8.
    My 243 shoots the cheaper factory Powershoks .56-.75 and thats in a cheap charter arms. More than possible, more than likely in fact a better rifle and shooter will shoot better if it suits the rifle of cause , but it highlights the accruacy that straight factory can get.
    And of cause if its for just a hunting round, .5 or .9 etc is here or there is it. Reloading of cause is generally the way to go to develop loads that work for your rifle as like you say, all rifles are different and they all like or hate different ammo. And of cause theres the target shooters that need the best you can get out of your ammo and the ones that shoot thousands at the range and reloading is the cheaper way to go in the long run etc.
    I was just pointing out for hunting purposes if you not into re loading but think you need to do to get a accrurate load for hunting you maybe wrong.
    Factory ammo like Super perforance may quite well out perform anything you going to be able to reload if your rifle happens to shoot them well so maybe if you not a reloader, try factory first and play around before you go down the re loading road unless of cause thats your thing then go for it.
    I only mention it as i get people all the time asking why im not reloading.."".˙ou get better perforance"". I say nonsence, as i might be lucky, but ive found factory ammo that shoots well in both my rifles, and considering its only a hunting round, its genreally the first one that counts and if anything , esp the super perforance, my factory rounds prob out perform the re loaders
    Last edited by deer243; 20-03-2016 at 12:26 AM.
    mikee likes this.

Ive used superformance in a few different rifles and found its accuracy well, not there. By all means use it if it works but to compare your experiences with factory ammo to reloading without having done any may be a bit like watering the garden in the rain

150gr sst
    72.53 OAL
    44gr ar2206h
    fed primer

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Ive used superformance in a few different rifles and found its accuracy well, not there. By all means use it if it works but to compare your experiences with factory ammo to reloading without having done any may be a bit like watering the garden in the rain
    This is true Gibo, i dont reload, and what you saying is quite correct. At the same time purely for a hunting round for normal situations without extreme long range etc factory will do the job just as good as any reload will it not (if your rifle likes it and shoots .5-.9 which is very possible)
    Super perforance with its extra MV(edge over reloads) in 150 and 165sst in my rifle the first two shots are both under .6 and the 3rd generally opens the group out to something which is still very good for a hunting round, something which is quite common when measuring groups is it not.. Considering its the first shot that counts most of the time theres nothing in it between the two for general hunting which is the norm for the average hunter. Just saying reloading is a choice, a hobby, personal prefence not a must for general hunting, even thou many are always saying so the fact is most good rifles these days will shoot factory under a inch, its just a case of trying a few to see which ones.
    Think thats a fair statement but if you do reloading, you will at least be able to get consistent perforance time and time again out of your rifle and you have a choice of better projectiles not offered in factory(big plus)
    You may not always get that out of factory esp if it doesnt love the load so i would think reloading is better but certainly not a must and the way factory is developing it wont be long before theres no need togo down the re loading path in the future
    mikee likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    ..........Secondly, Hornady claim they have managed the extra MV with no increase in recoil at all from standard ammo. I can confirm that is the case, theres no difference from standard ammo as i was using Rem corelolts and the recoil is the same .........
    You don't seriously believe that do you? How can a bullet that's going faster than another of exactly the same type produce the same recoil? I suppose Hornady would claim that they weren't talking about a generic factory load and not their own non Performance load with the same SST bullet (if they still produce them).

If you're going to compare Remington Core-loks to Hornady SST's then you have to consider that they both have different bearing surfaces to the rifling which may and probably does mean a different pressure curve that will affect recoil. Also,some hunters don't particularly like Hornady SST's as a hunting bullet, finding them too destructive up close.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    You don't seriously believe that do you? How can a bullet that's going faster than another of exactly the same type produce the same recoil? I suppose Hornady would claim that they weren't talking about a generic factory load and not their own non Performance load with the same SST bullet (if they still produce them).

If you're going to compare Remington Core-loks to Hornady SST's then you have to consider that they both have different bearing surfaces to the rifling which may and probably does mean a different pressure curve that will affect recoil. Also,some hunters don't particularly like Hornady SST's as a hunting bullet, finding them too destructive up close.
    Well,, they have tested the ammo compared to a standard load and theres no difference and they talking about the new super perforance.
    No reason they lie as its easy to test if what they state is true and knowing the American market they be fools to state such a thing if it was Bs.
    Maybe you should read up on the new tech and watch there video and with the USA market they prob get sued if what they state is BS one would think but the fact remains i see no difference at all in recoil after trying a few different brands of ammo when i first got a 308 and i have noticed no difference whatso ever in recoil so as far as im concerned what they state is correct .
    And even if it wasnt its that small a difference you wouldnt notice so that ends that arguement
    And as for many types of projectiles they suited for certain situations some people like them and some dont. The SSt is a round suited for longer range, thats the fact. But they still very good at close range as well, so what if some find them destructive at close range?
    It depends on what you want out of a projectile, i want the animal dead. Im not concerned about damage, the more the merrier and im happy. If you concerned about damage you take shots that reduce the meat damage(neck or behind the shoulder ) or you use something more suited to you for close range.
    The sst is very good at knocking things over, and esp good at longer range so for someone that stated that you havnt used factory ammo for 40 years tells me you way behind the times on what they can acheive and bagging the round for what??? No dis respect of course but bagging a round thats clearly another step up in advancement from not so many years ago you have to question if you up to date on whats happening in the world when it comes to advancement of ammo in general. (still no dis respect to yourself on my part
    Last edited by deer243; 21-03-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Here some reading 10 ring you find intersting

ooks like Hornady has done it again with the new line of Superformance ammunition, safely boosting velocity 100 to 200 feet a second for cartridges from .243 up to .458 Winchester Magnum. The new line is offered in 54 combinations of cartridge and bullet weight, featuring Hornady SST and their new GMX bullets. There’s even a super-charged 12-gauge 00 buckshot load.
    In a nutshell, Superformance cartridges use a milestone in powder technology to broaden the pressure curve, safely holding higher pressures longer, thus producing more velocity with less powder, and at the same safe pressures. The breakthrough involves both the chemistry of the powder and the mechanical processing of the granules.
    Since 1995, Hornady has offered Light and Heavy Magnum ammunition, compacting large volumes of slow-burning powder to achieve higher than normal velocities. But most powders do not fully burn by the time the bullet exits the barrel, and larger volumes of powder can increase the recoil-boosting “rocket effect” of these gasses exiting the barrel.
    In contrast, Superformance powders completely burn by the time the bullet exits the muzzle. A higher percentage of the energy is transferred to the bullet, and muzzle exit pressure is lower as is the velocity of the muzzle gasses. This minimizes bullet velocity loss in short barrels while also reducing the rocket effect.
    A great deal of felt recoil actually comes after the bullet leaves the barrel, caused by the barrel acting like a rocket as still-burning powders and expanding gasses jet out the muzzle, pushing the rifle sharply back into the shooter’s shoulder. Because the new powders completely burn before the bullet exits the muzzle, the jetting effect is significantly reduced. The lower weight of the powder charge itself also lessens recoil.
    It long has been an axiom in the gun trade that more potency means more recoil. We may have to rethink that.

Dude, its marketing propaganda
    7mmsaum and BRADS like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    The sst is very good at knocking things over, and esp good at longer range so for someone that stated that you havnt used factory ammo for 40 years tells me you way behind the times on what they can acheive and bagging the round for what??? No dis respect of course but bagging a round thats clearly another step up in advancement from not so many years ago you have to question if you up to date on whats happening in the world when it comes to advancement of ammo in general. (still no dis respect to yourself on my part
    Mate, I'm not dissing your pet Hornady SP SST factory loads. I've used nearly 200 .308 150gr SST's in handloads for hunting and target work. From what I can see, the SP 150gr load only gets a claimed 80fps faster than my load, which isn't a max load in my rifle. That's not going to make any difference to any deer. I like Hornady bullets but prefer their traditional spire point lead tipped ones for hunting.

Don't presume to know what I know as you'd be quite wrong. I have no need to use factory loads, latest and greatest claims included. I still don't trust them for reasons I won't go into here.

The OP asked about a good load for the .308. I take that to mean a handload (perhaps incorrectly) and you're trying convince everyone on here that they'd be better off buying Hornady SP factory loads. Well good luck with that.

MSL
    How accurate is your recoil'o'meter?
    10-Ring likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    How accurate is your recoil'o'meter?
    Ha ha brings back memories of high school physics and Newton's Third Law.
    deer243 likes this.