Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree15Likes
  • 4 Post By Nakihunter
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By charliehorse
  • 1 Post By charliehorse
  • 3 Post By grandpamac
  • 2 Post By tikka
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By Nakihunter

Thread: New Tikka T3X Aspire - enjoying it

Nakihunter

Red face New Tikka T3X Aspire - enjoying it

I bought a Tikka T3x Superlite Aspite about 8 weeks ago. I just couldn't resist the rifle when I saw it in Whakatane Hunting & fishing. Alan did a package deal with a basic Burris 3-9X scope.

I managed to score some AR2219 (same as H322) which was my favourite powder in my old Tikka 222 Rem. I also got some AR2206H.

I got some projectiles -
    * Hornady 55 gr SP with canelure
    * Sierra 60 gr HP Varmint
    * Hornady 60gr VMax
    * Sierra 63 gr SMP

A mate also gave me 3 packets of old stuff he had - Hornady 50 gr, Sierra 60gr SP & Nosler Solid base 55 gr.

I have been playing with these 3
    * Hornady 55 gr SP with canelure - Shoots well with AR2206H
    * Sierra 60 gr HP Varmint - Shoots well with AR2206H & AR2219
    * Hornady 60gr VMax - Shoots well with AR2219

I am an older person and my fitness is not good. I have issues with my legs, hip, back etc. I cannot shoot prone. Even at the bench I am stiff and not always in a comfortable position.

I have slowly got into a routine now. I made up some small sandbags as the old ones are long gone. I can now hold the crosshair on the 1 inch dot with a bit of waver. 5 shot Groups are often 1.3" as I invariably get a flier or pull one.

Yesterday I was at a club shoot and did well. Then I tested a couple of loads from a very uncomfortable bench with no sandbags! The 60gr Amax went into 0.83 inch - 3 bullets into one hole. The vertical spread was about 10mm or less. I am thrilled with this. I haven't shot such a group for 20 years!

BTW, I also got a Yo-Dave replacement trigger spring and it makes a huge difference. I do not have a gauge but I have got it set for a safe and light crisp release. A BIG improvement.
    Last edited by Nakihunter; 13-11-2023 at 08:31 AM.
    7mmsaum, Gibo, BSA270 and 1 others like this.

Padox likes this.

Nakihunter
    Name:  Tikka T3X Aspire.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  1.64 MB

Did you buy 2? That's a 7mm08
    Gibo and Padawan like this.

That's what I thought but lost interest

I only zoomed into see what .22 calibre he'd got. Don't know my tikkas but assume they do 22-250, 222 and 223. Am interested in trying 2219 in my 222
    Nakihunter likes this.

Greetings @Nakihunter,
    Like you health issues limit me to a bench for shooting. I started getting into F Class shooting this year using a Tikka T3 Lite for 300 yard shooting. So far I have been using the 69 grain Sierra. Last shoot was 600 yards and the rifle a 7mm-08. My walking range in the bush is rather limited so I have found the F Class shooting gives me something that I can do most of the time,
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Trout, BSA270 and Nakihunter like this.

Congratulations on the new rifle, 223 rem is a pretty easy caliber to get shooting accurate.
    Have you thought about shooting off a tripod, it could be easier on the body sitting and standing.
    BSA270 and Nakihunter like this.

You did pretty well shooting sitting and standing those .223 are awesome.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Nakihunter likes this.

Nakihunter
    No, just the 223 Rem. That is just a photo of a similar package in the shop as my rifle was already packed up.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Did you buy 2? That's a 7mm08

Nakihunter
    I found the H322 incredible in my 222 Rem. I could put 5 shots into 0.5 inches any time with a couple of bullets. Usually the Sierra 52 gr HP & the Hornady 53 gr HP. I read up on this 25 years ago and found that most Bench rest shooters used the powder for this caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    I only zoomed into see what .22 calibre he'd got. Don't know my tikkas but assume they do 22-250, 222 and 223. Am interested in trying 2219 in my 222
    charliehorse likes this.