Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Primer thieves

RV1
    Can someone explain why there is such a shortage or reloading components, esp. primers here in NZ? I've searched but can't find an explanation

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    Can someone explain why there is such a shortage or reloading components, esp. primers here in NZ? I've searched but can't find an explanation
    Surely the war has something to do with it
    When hunting think safety first

Because whenever a shipment comes in, everyone goes and buys thousands rather than just a couple of trays to see them through.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, Gibo, Shamus_ and 1 others like this.

had a look...Ive got about 600 of both large rifle and small rifle....if someone is desperate enough and wants to give me $1 a primer I could let a couple of hundy of each go.......I know that amount will keep me going for a couple or three years..but if someone is crazy desperate...oh well whats a fella to do???
    yip I could say 50 cents each..but then I know my PM box would be flooded and they would get either wasted into paper or resold elsewhere for profit.
    I dont need to sell them..cant be stuffed mucking around with freight...but if someone is going to go hungry because they have nothing to shoot...who am I to deprive them ....
    10-Ring, norsk, RUMPY and 5 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The last US election (Biden vs Trump) started a run on ammunition and components. Then a shooting war in Ukraine.
    Some manufacturers are concentrating military components and military ammunition.

Personally after I first started reloading I couldn't get the projectiles I wanted/needed. Bother I thought.
    Since then I purchase in bulk so I won't run out or be caught short again. I also purchase in bulk to be able to negotiate discounts.

Not everybody can or will do this as everyone's circumstances are different.

TM prices reflect a willing seller and willing buyer. If no-one bought then the prices would come down.
    mikee, norsk and RV1 like this.

All primers are imported from overseas ( mainly USA but also Europe ). In USA huge numbers of new, young shooters coming into the market ( Trump ? Biden election & other drivers ). Causes massive ammo demand. Ammo makers ramp up to meet demand, as do primer makers of course but demand is unrelenting and ammo shortages are ongoing. Ammo makers use every primer they can get for making factory ammo. Big decline in release of primers purely for handloading. Then, as noted, war erupts in Ukraine. Ammo makers now have to add military orders to their production, sucking up even more primers. Most ammo & primer manufacturers in the USA are running plants nearly 24 / 7 and still struggling to clear the backlog. A perfect storm raining down on we handloaders.
    The real question is: when will it end ? No idea really but I would hazard a guess sometime after hostilities in Ukraine ease up it might help us a bit.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushline View Post
    I’ve added fuel to the fire buying via trademe, just entering the reloading world and pretty hard to do anything without some primers.
    Yep, I absolutely refuse to buy via trademe for anything. That's another story that isn't relevant. However I am just getting into reloading properly and am needing primers and powder, it's proving difficult to say the least.

Should have been buying that stuff first a while back...but hindsight aye.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Whats the difference in the housing market? and the renting market? the list can go on and on
    well some of us have said for YEARS the housing market is pure greed and has been for far too long.... when a house is marketed as a great investment...or quick doer up and flick for profit... we are stuffed before we start. a house is supposed to be a HOME...
    Muttonguts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    had a look...Ive got about 600 of both large rifle and small rifle....if someone is desperate enough and wants to give me $1 a primer I could let a couple of hundy of each go.......I know that amount will keep me going for a couple or three years..but if someone is crazy desperate...oh well whats a fella to do???
    yip I could say 50 cents each..but then I know my PM box would be flooded and they would get either wasted into paper or resold elsewhere for profit.
    I dont need to sell them..cant be stuffed mucking around with freight...but if someone is going to go hungry because they have nothing to shoot...who am I to deprive them ....
    ACTUALLY Im not that much of a "C U Next Tuesday"....if someone wants to come and pick them up at time that works in with me.... I will let some go at 50cents each....... quite happy to just have them on hand..but well if you needs them you needs them.
    7mm Rem Mag and RUMPY like this.

Because kiwi's shoot bugger all so its a small market,plus it's remote.

Norway has the same population but shoots approximately 70 million rounds by civilian shooters alone. That's a lucrative market so companies service it well.

$1 a primer is still reasonable tbh.
    RV1 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

funny this is happening. A guy that's been in the trade for a long time told me at the time the confiscation was going on....you watch and see after this is done primers will run out....and guess what

$1.50 each on trademe and rising
    Micky Duck likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    $1.50 each on trademe and rising
    I'm still running on primers that cost me 10c ea. Can not be anywhere as good as the Tardme ones surely??
    04sika and Sika stag like this.

Curios to know wether the op would sell his house to me at pre pandemic prices?

Or would he rob me by wanting current market rates?
    Kiwi Greg, BRADS, shift14 and 4 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Curios to know wether the op would sell his house to me at pre pandemic prices?

Or would he rob me by wanting current market rates?
    Everyone knows housing prices are way overvalued and it has all stemmed from insatiable greed from non-taxable capital gains.
    Enough is never enough in this day and age.

Doesn't make any of it right.
    So are you one of the yellow site primer traders?