Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Priming Tool

Priming Tool

What is everyone using for brass priming these days?
    I've always just done on press priming (lee press) as I traditionally haven't done much centrefire shooting, now I am doing more the on press priming is driving me crazy (slow, clunky, droping primers, etc).

It looks like the hand held priming tools are still the most popular inless you spend crazy money on a high end bench mounted one.
    Looking for something good quality that I wont be looking to replace in the future, but also not willing to spend stupid money if I dont need to.

Cheers

Frankfort arsenal, really happy with it you get a good feel how tight primer pocket is and amount of crunch
    ariki likes this.

The Lyman Eze prime is a great tool. Very easy to interchange between large and small primer trays.

Gkp
    RCBS hand primer. Only recently got it and I like it.
    Cool how I can sit at the kitchen table and prime cases especially when it's cold in the shed.
    Ross Nolan likes this.

Lee Hand held Auto primers is still one of my favs, next up is a desk mounted Forrester Co-ax, less popular, but I use it as Ive got it, RCBS hand held.
    Micky Duck and shananah like this.

Primal Rights CPS if I'm doing a lot otherwise 21st Century if only a handful. 21st Century would have to be the most precise tool I have ever used and even despite not having a tray is still quite fast. Minor messing around changing shellholders (unfortunatley dedicated 21st C ones) and between SRP and LRP.

Also have in cupboard the RCBS bench auto priming tool. Very good with great feel even though a bench type device. Mine has a Darrell Holland seating depth adjustment add on.

And an RCBS universal hand primer. Universal shell holder, no changing of shell holders. Have to change some minor bits over if going between SRP to LRP. Good seating feel, confortable in the hand (a lot are not) safety gate to prevent mass primer explosion (yes it can happen). The pick of them if wanting a hand held in that price range.
    Last edited by zimmer; 19-11-2023 at 07:30 PM.

Lee ergo but the old one with the flat trays not the new folding anti flip model
    Micky Duck likes this.

Lee auto bench priming tool
    m101a1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Primal Rights CPS if I'm doing a lot otherwise 21st Century if only a handful. 21st Century would have to be the most precise tool I have ever used and even despite not having a tray is still quite fast. Minor messing around changing shellholders (unfortunatley dedicated 21st C ones) and between SRP and LRP.

Also have in cupboard the RCBS bench auto priming tool. Very good with great feel even though a bench type device. Mine has a Darrell Holland seating depth adjustment add on.

And an RCBS universal hand primer. Universal shell holder, no changing of shell holders. Have to change some minor bits over if going between SRP to LRP. Good seating feel, confortable in the hand (a lot are not) safety gate to prevent mass primer explosion (yes it can happen). The pick of them if wanting a hand held in that price range.
    I was wondering if someone would recommend the CPS.
    Never say never but I don't see myself spending that kind of money on a priming tool.

That RCBS universal does look like a popular option, similar price to the Frankford arsenal hand primer.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Lee auto bench priming tool
    I have been considering this, theres a few videos on Youtube that makes it look pretty quick and easy.

I like how easy it is to switch between SRP and LRP, especial if you buy another primer tray. Some other units tools look kinda painful.
    Or they are cheap enough I could just buy two and keep them set up for SRP or LRP.

Ha ha, I was lucky, I was in the right place at the right time for the CPS and got a very incredible never to be repeated deal. Otherwise I would have just continued on with my 21st Century and the RCBS Bench.
    As far as recommending it, no, certainly not at the normal cost of it.

No experience myself, but the FA Platinum seems to be getting good reviews. Couple of reviews saying trouble with SRPs though but all overcome. Adjustable depth like my 21st C.

Had an early model Lee years ago. It broke.

I still like the concept of sitting in front of the TV on a cold night, using a hand held priming tool, priming cases whilst wife knits.

Used a copper tipped punch with a pladtic hammer a couple of weeks ago. Lol worked a treat.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I think I'll go for the Frankford arsenal.
    The RCBS looks like a huge pain to swap between SRP and LRP, changing shell holders doesn't look like an issue.

There are mixed views on the Lee auto bench, not sure I can be bothered with another finicky Lee product.
    zimmer and tibo like this.

If you coming around Tauranga anytime soon feel free to come have a look at mine if you want
    Beetroot likes this.

21st century hand primer
    Hand down the best. Get from tony @ tenpointone.
    zimmer and Sakoswarosorted like this.