Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 5 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 2 Post By JohnDuxbury
  • 3 Post By akaroa1
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By Steelisreal
  • 5 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Reloading 50/70 and I don't even own one

Reloading 50/70 and I don't even own one

Reloaded these for a friend who has begun his journey to the dark side by buying a swedish rolling block in 5070.
    He lacked the readies, BP and lead so I offered to do it.
    Cast up a batch of 450 grainers, lubed them up and sat them on 50 grains of 2f which was all that fitted in his cases which are fire formed and trimmed 348 winchester.
    It's got me thinking that looks like fun, and after earlier this year having visited akaroa 1 and followed his rebuilds I think I'm going to get one at the first opportunity.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Just starting a similar journey but with 450 bm and 260 and 300 cast for starters so those trexs better start running . Back to the old artillery skills I reckon ,
    Moa Hunter likes this.

You can get more powder in, its supposed to be compressed. (You cant compress it with your soft lead bullets though, you have to use something else, like a bit of dowel, or a jacketed bullet. )

Try Graeme Champion, he had one on Trademe the other day. I nearly got it myself. (Unless thats the one your mate got.)
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

I've probably got a spare one

Easy to find the rifles
    Really hard to get 50-70 brass in The last few years
    I run 4x 50-70s and only have 30 cases across the lot of them
    308, Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

He probably won't pay for the powder so less is more in that regard. Cases are hard to get guess that's why his cases are fire formed win 348 ones a bit fiddly and you loose the odd one but at least it's around
    akaroa1, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I've probably got a spare one

Easy to find the rifles
    Really hard to get 50-70 brass in The last few years
    I run 4x 50-70s and only have 30 cases across the lot of them
    "I've probably got a spare one" - I can't decide if @akaroa1 is one of the most entertaining and interesting people to post on here, or one of the most hazardous to one's financial well-being (safes aren't cheap)?!? And how many other journeys to the dark (and smoky) side have started with the phrase 'after visiting Akaroa1'...

That's jolly nice of you @Marty Henry to get your mate going with a bunch of loads. As much fun as shooting is, sometimes watching someone else's reaction to learning to shoot under your guidance is way more rewarding.
    akaroa1 and Micky Duck like this.

[QUOTE=Steelisreal;1378353]"I've probably got a spare one" - I can't decide if @akaroa1 is one of the most entertaining and interesting people to post on here, or one of the most hazardous to one's financial well-being (safes aren't cheap)?!? And how many other journeys to the dark (and smoky) side have started with the phrase 'after visiting Akaroa1'...
    The guys enthusiasm is infectious and his skill to be admired so it's no wonder he's a bit of a pied Piper.
    We occasionally host corporate events at our range, it's always the "smokey old shit" that everyone wants to use.
    As the late Neil Hayes said no one can fire a black powder gun and not have a smile on their face afterwards.