Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Oldbloke
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 3 Post By Bagheera
  • 1 Post By maccanz
  • 1 Post By Cyclops

Thread: Reloading components availability

Reloading components availability

So just wondering how you blokes are going getting hold of components for the last year or so?

Over here in OZ for some time ADI powder was hard to get but slowly improving now. ADI had some production hiccups and timing was bad. But primers are pretty light on still. Rumours have it that things will not improve for at least a year. Bullets much the same. Prices still rising.

Personally I'm pretty right as I buy up when components are cheap and don't shoot a lot as only hunt really. Not into punching paper.

BTW, great forum.
    madjon_, Micky Duck and Borris like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Much the same over here.
    Large rifle primers are very rare, and when available are almost 3 times the price they were a few years ago.
    A shipment of ADI powder came in to the wholesaler in February after many delays. Many types sold out in a day or two (such as AR2209), not much left of the other types in the shops (a bit of AR2208 still around).
    Projectiles, especially Hornady ELD M and X's and SST's, are pretty much sold out everywhere, anything in 6.5mm have been hard to get hold of for ages.
    Borris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Much the same over here.
    Large rifle primers are very rare, and when available are almost 3 times the price they were a few years ago.
    A shipment of ADI powder came in to the wholesaler in February after many delays. Many types sold out in a day or two (such as AR2209), not much left of the other types in the shops (a bit of AR2208 still around).
    Projectiles, especially Hornady ELD M and X's and SST's, are pretty much sold out everywhere, anything in 6.5mm have been hard to get hold of for ages.
    Not to mention 7mm/284 in pretty much any of the more popular projectiles us pretty much unicorn terds
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

My feeling is things could be easing up a little.
    I got a kg of AR2208 last month and a couple of hundred 7mm ballistic tips this month. Still waiting for other stuff of course but a small amount is coming in.

… and just walked in to the local shop and bought 100 rounds of factory 7 mm08 off the shelf. It was Sako brand and I had a choice of two bullet weights.
    johnd, bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    … and just walked in to the local shop and bought 100 rounds of factory 7 mm08 off the shelf. It was Sako brand and I had a choice of two bullet weights.
    The Sako Gamehead factory ammo seems to have had stock come in a few months back. I noticed Wilsons in Whanganui put a pic up of a big shipment and there was some at Magnum Sports here in Stratford too.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    The Sako Gamehead factory ammo seems to have had stock come in a few months back. I noticed Wilsons in Whanganui put a pic up of a big shipment and there was some at Magnum Sports here in Stratford too.
    Think it will depend on the calibre - Beretta told me in January that there will be no Sako gamehead pro in 6.5 x 55 available in NZ until next year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot likes this.

Powder and projectiles are coming in, in dribs and drabs.
    Primers are very thin on the ground. When they do show up, they are pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive invested in bullet dies and equipment to make my own bullets. Primers and propellants will be my main concern.

Away from the big towns can still pretty much get anything
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

In Perth, ADI powders by the shelf full, small and large rifle primers ok, magnum primers non existent, projectiles hard to source.

As a target shooter I aim (pun intended), where possible, to start each season with enough components to build enough rounds to complete each season.

Depending on how many competitions and club days I shoot that's between 1400 and 2400 rounds. And the same for my son.
    That's between 8 and 14 kg of powder.

To secure that volume of projectiles I've been importing them direct from the US.
    Primers and powder buying locally in larger lots.
    Recently I secured 8000 SRP at a very good price. (I on sold 1000 to a club mate.)

Being organised and prepared has been my solution.
    It allows me to help out club mates in times of need.
    Borris likes this.