Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rl22

Rl22

Is anyone using RL22 in a wsm? or more so a 270wsm?
    Currently Im using ar2213sc but would like a smidge more speed, getting 2900fps with 140gr Accubonds. And have just started trialling the 150gr Berger VLD's and was hoping to get around 2900fps with 150s.
    What I would like to know is:
    * What speeds are people getting and what is the ES?
    * How accurate is the load? (and not very accurate, a measurement please)
    * Also how sensitive are the RL powders with temp change?

And as an aside, does anybody nearby have some RL22 that they could send me a small sample to try?
    Or I could pick it up.

puku

You should try 2217 & 2225, ADI site shows better speed with them than 2213.
    I assume you are loading 270wsm.

Hi Puku,
    Havnt tried rl22 but when i had my 270wsm i was getting 3100 with nos 140gr BT's using 2209. Accuracy was sub MOA out to 600 which is as far as i used it.
    Tried 150gr bergers/SST's and could easily get them to 2900 but i wasnt happy with accuracy so just stuck with the BT's

Ray

greg, yea the fella at the shop suggested trying 2225 or RL22. But said when he was shooting short magnums accuracy wasn't there in the 2217 (i think i've got that around the right way). He also had a 5pound tub of RL22 there. Its a tad to much to buy to try it
    yep loading a 270wsm

Also you better get your post count up theres a few on a hundy or close to haha.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Hi Puku,
    Havnt tried rl22 but when i had my 270wsm i was getting 3100 with nos 140gr BT's using 2209. Accuracy was sub MOA out to 600 which is as far as i used it.
    Tried 150gr bergers/SST's and could easily get them to 2900 but i wasnt happy with accuracy so just stuck with the BT's

Ray
    Ray, What twist was your barrel? Not able to stabilise them? In the few 150s I trialled so far I've had some good groups, only down 100m testing so far tho. Just bought a box of them so should get a load sorted by the time I play with different things.

I tried some ar2209 earlier on while deciding on a powder as I reload a 270win with 2209 with a 140gr accubond. The wsm wasn't much above it speed wise and accuracy was ok.
    Sorry I can't remember the speeds and can't seem to find my reloading note book.

Are you still a wsm junkie? what do yuu shoot now

Puku
    Yep still a wsm junkie - using a 300wsm spitting out 208 amax now
    270wsm was a weatherby vanguard and i think it had a 1 in 10 twist from memory. When i say i wasnt happy with the accuracy i should have been a bit clearer, the bergers groups (1.5in @ 100) were IMO not acceptable for what i intended using them for, bear in mind that i never played with seating depth and they were loaded to fit in the mag as im not interested in single loading. The sst's on the other hand were sub inch @ 100 but groups would open up for some reason from 300yds onwards. Not sure if it was a stability thing or not?? So with the 140 BT's going well i just used them.
    I also tried 135gr match kings and they went well but difinitly not suitable UNDER 300yds with body shots!!! KABOOM
    Ray

wsm junkie, thanks for clearing that up. Yea If the 150 VLDs work out to be 1.5inch at 100 I won't be carrying on with them, intending to use them as a long range pill, like they should be!
    Im going to open up the mag and alter bolt stop to improve OAL. And possibly buy another mag the right length for it, problem is their blood dear!!

Oh its a Tikka
    puku

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Slightly different I know, but I had really good results with N165 on both my 7mmSAUM and 7mmWSM. The load that I was using when Thomas bought the WSM was with RL17, which gave better velocity with slightly less powder and the same sort of accuracy. All using 162gr amax, velocity between 3k and 3,135fps from 24/26 inch barrels.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by The Claw View Post
    Slightly different I know, but I had really good results with N165 on both my 7mmSAUM and 7mmWSM. The load that I was using when Thomas bought the WSM was with RL17, which gave better velocity with slightly less powder and the same sort of accuracy. All using 162gr amax, velocity between 3k and 3,135fps from 24/26 inch barrels.
    +1 N165
    I used it in my 7mmSAUM and worked very well, I have since changed to RL22 as it gave me good accuracy and speed but a bit less pressure.
    I also use RL22 with the 145Gr LRX Barnes in my SAUM and it gives me around 3280fps

I went the other way as the load I was using with RL22 became to hot in summer,N165 has been pretty stable.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

ok thanks for that guys.
    So is the RL22 very temp sensitive? Or which is least temp sensitive btwn rl22 and n165?

from what iv seen using it in 280ai and .243 Id have to say N165 is the more temp stable.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I went the other way as the load I was using with RL22 became to hot in summer,N165 has been pretty stable.
    I only changed powders after I cut an inch off and suppressed my rifle, RL22 gave me back the speed with accuracy

ok thanks sneeze.
    I'll have to have a think about things then.
    How easy is N165 to get? Someone told me that N150 is hard to get at times... Don't really want to be shagging around trying to find powder

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    ok thanks sneeze.
    I'll have to have a think about things then.
    How easy is N165 to get? Someone told me that N150 is hard to get at times... Don't really want to be shagging around trying to find powder
    Pretty easy to get I have found, but I stocked up just in case and to use the same batch# so I have about 3 KG sitting on the shelf