Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Starting from scratch

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Not necessarily
    I don't mind single feeding but pulling the bolt right out of the rifle just to eject an unfired round doesn't really excite me
    GWH and Shearer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Thanks, yea I can find quite a few manufacturers making 1:8 barrels but have no clue how to go about getting one. I got pretty excited about the idea of getting hold of a proof carbon but have been stopped in my tracks now as they tell me they cant/don't do a 1:8. Those Matrix look like the go for my current setup, have done a bit of research on them and they are designed to work in a 1:10 if pushed hard I just can't find where to get them!
    I am back in NZ in a six weeks, I will see how many matrix 165gr I have, 150 or so in NZ @ a guess, cost you box (12) of quality beer & shipping . (not Waikato, swap water.) I don't have anything that can run them, except for a Mt 700, Mt rifle 270 win, and that's going too,

Matrix bullets was sold, still in operation in BC Canada, they guy who bought it, is putting most production runs into target bullets,
    I see he has them aviable again, if they work, I can get you more.
    Shearer and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Ryan I think Stacey at Hamills Tauranga got hold of some of those Matrix bullets in .277 and loaded them up in a 270 WSM. I think he said they went well, you could give him a ring and have a chat about them.
    Shearer and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

L.T
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The 170 EOL probably won't be worth worring about unless you are going to go with something like a 270 Allen Mag. I doubt if you can push them fast enough in a 270 WSM to give you enough of an advantage over the 150's.
    What velocity do you think you will get from them? When I had my 7mm mag, a 180gr only gave an inch or two windage advantage over the 162gr because of the lower velocity. It wasn't until I re-chambered to 7RUM that I could push the 180gr fast enough to get enough advantage.
    If you are going to re-barrel and want to run those 170gr EOL then thonk about something like a 300 Norma Mag necked down to 270. You would need to switch to a ball powder as some of the big stick powders like 2225, 2218 can cause powder bridging problems.
    Check out Kirby Allen's webpage he has quite a bit of info about his 270 Allen Mag.

Allen Magnum Wildcats scroll down to 270 Allen Magnum
    A 270-300 Norma now that sounds like a lot of fun and would be an interesting experience. Although after seeing and shooting a 7-300 Norma with accuracy issues my advice would be to buy the best barrel you can afford because I have learnt, these cartridges aren't the cartridges you want accuracy issues with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Ryan I think Stacey at Hamills Tauranga got hold of some of those Matrix bullets in .277 and loaded them up in a 270 WSM. I think he said they went well, you could give him a ring and have a chat about them.
    Thanks for the headsup, found a few videos on YouTube of an Aussie bloke that uses them in a t3 wsm for sambar and long range steel which pricked my interest

Do the Norma mag and 26/27/28/30 Nosler cartridges work on a normal (30-06 size) action and feed from a mag? Or need a Rum size action or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Do the Norma mag and 26/27/28/30 Nosler cartridges work on a normal (30-06 size) action and feed from a mag? Or need a Rum size action or similar?
    Yep a normal Rem LA is the same length, wouldn't build any of those on a Tikka, its too small in the action/thread tenon diameter

Thanks Greg, now I'm in two minds, I want to throw heavy(ish) projectiles at a decent rate of knots, down a .277 tube, just because I can and because the 270 is under rated in my opinion and has lacked versatility due to projectile selection but these new Berger and Matrix projectiles are game changers if you have a setup that can shoot them.
    I could do one of two things:

Try get a proof carbon barrel in 1:10 (the only twist they do for .277) and have it screwed onto my 85, keep it a wsm and hope it shoots the Matrix, this keeps with my current rifles "everything serves a purpose, good quality components but not over the top, light weight, shoots good near and far, plenty of smackdown to 800+ yds"

Or, buy a rem700 in a long action, try to track down a barrel, and ream it for one of the aforementioned calibres, thus giving me a completely new rifle. I'm not sure entirely on costs for getting a proof carbon vs building a rifle and then having to spend quite a bit to get it light weight, plus new scope etc

terminater was posting earlier talking about something else along those lines....the possability of reaming .270win out to AI as guys wank on and on and on and on about how much better the .280AI is so I ask why not do it to .270????
    for what its worth I chuck 170 grn projectiles through my stock std short soda straw thin barreled mod 70 .270 with no issues at all,they group sub moa when I do my bit and hit like hammer of thor. my load data runs in perfectly straight line from 130grn-150grn-170grn ADI list loads for barnes 180grn pill so that will/may also give you hint as to good starting point.

Banned
    Can't you get a fast twist barrel? Pac nor and lija do them by the looks...could local agents import one?
    I think you need one bro to be a 21st century Jack O'Connor😎
    Gibo, Shearer and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Banned
    Dead eye dicks do lilja and Dean Maisey does pac nor.

I have permits for most barrels inc Pacnor

Ryan as odd as this may sound, i think you and Greg should make a baby

Banned
    Yeah man, I would soon become single if it were me...that's why I'm living vicariously through this thread of Ryan's endeavours.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Sorry I don't have any technical advise RyanS, but I'm finding the the story amusing. I'm wondering how you ran this past your lady.
    Did it go something like this, " Hey honey, I found a handful of odd looking bullets, now I need to build a gun to fire them"?
    My wife is quite forgiving and would probably be fine with that suggestion, but I'm fairly sure men have been killed for making lesser suggestions to their wives.
    Wait... you mean to say I should have told her first?? Hahahahhaha, you guys... such a bunch of merry pranksters!

Tell her first... hahaaha