Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Subsonic .223rem

Subsonic .223rem

About 15 years ago I experimented with a subsonic load in my Remmington .223 (1:12? twist). After much faffing around I gave up as I just couldn't get a load that grouped well enough to be worth persisting with.
    Anyone out there using a subsonic .223rem? What's your secret?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Use some loaded with Trailboss but tend to save that for 308 subs as it’s hard to find. Have also played round with AS50N, works fine with good accuracy, just hasn’t got the bulk density of TB. Vectan AS is another one I’ve used as I had some on hand, can’t find any more. Red Dot is another I’d use if I could find any. Using with 22wmr projectiles when I can get them, otherwise Hornady V max or Sierra blitz kings. Work ok on goats, rabbits, etc.

Ok. I was using Trail Boss (which I use for my 308 subs) and from memory 55gn V Max and 55gn BTs. Just couldn't get them grouping any better than an inch at 50m.

Try flat base bullets as the different pressure curve and lower peak pressure of a sub load may not obturate boat tails so they're concentric
    Shearer and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Ok. I was using Trail Boss (which I use for my 308 subs) and from memory 55gn V Max and 55gn BTs. Just couldn't get them grouping any better than an inch at 50m.
    why would you need them better than an inch at 50 yards??? you shouldnt be using them past 50 yards and thats minute of brain every day of the week....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    why would you need them better than an inch at 50 yards??? you shouldnt be using them past 50 yards and thats minute of brain every day of the week....
    Call me fussy.
    My 308win subs will shoot 1/4" at 50m so I guess I am after similar accuracy.
    Micky Duck and woods223 like this.

OK Fussy...... but i stand by comment,subs suck if you miss by tiny bit and a 50-55grn sub will suck even more so...very little shock so into brainstem or chest of small game it is... PERSONALLY there is no way I would use them past 50 yards.
    Got-ya likes this.

Agree with the Mr Duck and Mr Shearer here even a varmint bullet won't expand at those speeds you will only get a hole so placement is pretty important. If on the other hand you emulate a 22 sub and use a cast bullet either flat nosed or with a cavity you up the odds in your favor.
    But who casts 22? Hell sometimes even 30 cal can end up being fiddly on an all thumbs day
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    OK Fussy...... but i stand by comment,subs suck if you miss by tiny bit and a 50-55grn sub will suck even more so...very little shock so into brainstem or chest of small game it is... PERSONALLY there is no way I would use them past 50 yards.
    I am only planning on using them on rabbits, possums etc.
    I had best explain better. At the moment I am doing a bit of pest control on local properties. Mostly rabbits etc but do come across the occasional pig and deer.
    If I take the .22lr deer and pigs are generally out. If I take the 308, I end up shooting heaps of rabbits with overkill 190gn subs. I would like to take the .223rem with the option of either subs for rabbits of 73gn ELD-Ms for bigger critters. Hence I would like the subs to have better accuracy than 1"@50m.
    Last edited by Shearer; 03-06-2023 at 08:16 PM.
    shooternz likes this.

perfect...but if shooting rabbits your 1" at 50 yards will still be good enough for rabbit out to 100 and MOST times I will not even shoot that far using a .22lr so a .223 subsonic as accurate as that would be ideal..... for really cheap up close a primer pocket drilled out to hold a shotgun primer and a light crimp to hold in an air rifle pellet has merit.... dead cheap too if can get it to work for you.possums will be under 30 yards so no problem at all there.
    with luck you will find accuracy you want..what Im trying to say is it may not really be needed...

7gr trailboss. Super quiet. A mate is using this with 55gr HP Sierra. Lotsa dead deer. Use a small piece of cotton as a filler.
    Shearer likes this.

Might go a lot better just by virtue of having a faster twist. I imagine 1:12 would have been borderline on stability at
    Shearer likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

AR7
    Hi Guys bought some Belmont subsonic .223 [55 grain x 4.10 grain T/Boss
    these worked well in the Howa mini 1:8 twist .Also reloaded my own to play around with
    last rabbit i shot was@ 80 m slightly down hill with my load . It was very quiet [a lot better than the supp. 22lr ] as i have fitted a very good can on the end of the barrel
    I think the flat base fly better for me .But i really need to get busy and start reloading these againName:  20230604_082034.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  2.14 MB

Thanks guys. Sounds like a flat base in the faster twist may be worth a crack.

AR7
    Use @ your own risk i used Trail Boss
    H&N RN 55 grain x 4.5 T/B fast with an echo so was doing just above sub speed
    Varmit SP 70 grain x 5.5 grain subsonic poi=poa
    it really depends on your barrel and what it likes but in mine using more than 6 grain of powder it starts to get louder
    was interested in learning how a subsonic .223 works compared to a 2lr /22 magnum /22 Hornet and so on
    just add more powder or use a different type to get the result you seek
    Safe loading Cheers
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.