Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LJP

Thread: Tell me about the 280AI?

LJP

Tell me about the 280AI?

Hi Guys - finally go my butt into gear & signed up here from the "other forum". I'm putting together an F Class / long range hunting rifle in 7mm & are still deliberating on calibre of choice. I'm using a Barnard P action with standard sized bolt face so looking at 7mm-08, 284, 284 Shehane or the 280AI. Seeing this will be a dedicated long range build I'm swaying towards the 284 Shehane or the slightly larger capacity 280AI which looks to have the same case capacity as the 7mmSaum. Does anyone run a 280AI, what are you doing for brass & does anyone have access to a reamer?

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    How did you go with the 7mm08 you built?
    Is this a replacement barrel on the that action?

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Iv had a 280ai for a few years.It is the balistic twin of the SAUM as far as I can see.Iv tried fire forming standard 280 and lapua 3006 brass but it was no better than the nosler 280ai with the correct headstamp, pricey but im up to 12 cycles now with a reasonable load of 61gr of N165 and a 162Amax and 63.5 with a 140gr TTSX.This is the Saami chamber that nosler use which is a little shorter then the old ackley so once fired brass measures up the same as new. Reamers should be readily available.I did have an internal donut problem after about 3 firings but it hasnt showen up in the second lot of brass at all.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

LJP
    Actually the 7mm08 is going really well. I'm gobsmacked at how much performance you can get with a long throat. I built that on a Remington model 7. To be fair that was only going to be a 500yd light carry rifle & I'm now asking the thing to shoot 1000yds. The new purpose built longranger is using the strong Barnard P single shot action. As kiwi Greg has proven 2800fps I'd doable with 180grainers in the little 7-08 but pressures will be getting up there. Do you use the 4cylinder & rev it's nuts off or the eight & cruise along for the same performance? The sensible thing would be a larger case... But since when was I ever sensible
    i41do2 likes this.

Ejected
    The four, gotta work that thing!

Walker built a 280Ai... not sure if he had the reamer or just got a barrel allready reamed to that.. He was also impressed with the Nolser AI brass.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    In a hunting rifle the 280 AI can be a very good choice but in a target long range rifle with custom action etc I believe the short fat case should give you just a little more performance than the longer case design.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

LJP
    On the various benchrest & target forums it seems that the 280AI has the velocity edge on the 284 & the improved versions. I even see Benchrest king Jackie Schmidt praising the quality of the Nosler 280AI brass as well. The Nosler brass is scary priced but if it lasts & prep work is minimal I guess one can't complain. The worst thing about holiday time is waaaayyy too much time to ponder these things. I might give Walker a call & ask some questions about his AI

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    On the various benchrest & target forums it seems that the 280AI has the velocity edge on the 284 & the improved versions. I even see Benchrest king Jackie Schmidt praising the quality of the Nosler 280AI brass as well. The Nosler brass is scary priced but if it lasts & prep work is minimal I guess one can't complain. The worst thing about holiday time is waaaayyy too much time to ponder these things. I might give Walker a call & ask some questions about his AI

I wasn't really meaning velocity edge but accuracy edge which is what you need plenty of to win.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

I had one for a short time Parker Hale with 1-10 shilen twist barrel and best pointing stock of any Rifle I've had, came with fireformed brass and it shot very well with 140 grn Nosler with 60 grn of 2213sc and 154 sst with 57 grn of N560. I would have another in a heartbeat but would have a 24" or longer barrel and a faster twist to shoot the longer/heavier projectiles.

Actually sounds like a build plan for this year.