Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tikka mag COAL

I stuck it in quickload. Iv got an older version which doesent have the 162eldx, so I ran it with the 162Amax which should be fairly similar being a reasonably long projectile. Id think the ELDX will operate at slightly higher pressure again if run at the same COAL.
    I can manually load the projectile if you advise the projectile length, the diameter at the bottom of the bullet, and the distance from the bottom of the projectile to the top of the boat tail.

Using the 162amax, 60.5gr of IMR4831, at a COAL of 3.340" we are right at the very high end of what would be considered safe to test. It would certainly not be considered a starting load and that much pressure should be worked up to.
    Generally in the pink, it might be ok depending on the firearm, you may or may not have bad pressure signs but its getting up there, and in the red is real danger zone. Its right on the borderline of the red zone, too close for comfort without working upto it. It would take something very minor for you to be over - eg if your brass has a couple grains less capacity than the data iv run it with etc. I believe the ELDX loaded to that same COAL will take you firmly into the red zone seeing as it will eat up a couple gr more of your case capacity (same result as having brass with a couple less grains capacity).

By all means test a few of your loads, id think that the worst that would happen is you might blow some primers and scar up your bolt face, but I would advise if you go out for a range day take some other ammo with you as the chances of finding out that ammo is too hot and being left without any ammo to shoot is fairly high

Name:  quickload11.PNG
Views: 263
Size:  56.1 KB
    Last edited by ChrisW; 14-10-2019 at 11:38 PM.

I thought it would be informative to also show the data for the 162gr BTSP that the load data used related to, to show the difference that the projectile makes.
    We can see that with the exact same load details, the only difference being the projectile used, the pressure on the 162btsp is significantly lower than that of the 162Amax (and the ELDX)

Name:  QL1.PNG
Views: 213
Size:  56.1 KB

I run 63.5gr IMR4831 with the 162 ELD-X in my tikka rem mag. It is loaded for 20 thou jump and is single feed (too long for the magazine). It wouldn't shoot for me at mag length. Sorry I don't have my COAL as I don't have my book in which it is recorded.

Banned
    Cool thanks Chris, the quickload data validates the Hornady load data as far as charge weight and pressure are concerned. That Hornady book sure is a crazy way to present data though as it makes the data for the shorter bullets pretty irrelevant.
    I will pull my loads and come in a bit lower as a result.
    Thanks a lot, you have been very helpful.
    Good to know Stagstalker. If they don't work at mag length I will use some speer btsp and single feed the elds if the POI is not too dissimilar.
    ChrisW likes this.

Banned
    I've loaded up a ladder with speer btsp and will seat the elds out where they belong and single feed them at a later date.
    The 7RM is replacing a 6.5PRC that I was unhappy with so is more cartridge than I need really.
    ChrisW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I've loaded up a ladder with speer btsp and will seat the elds out where they belong and single feed them at a later date.
    The 7RM is replacing a 6.5PRC that I was unhappy with so is more cartridge than I need really.
    So why were you unhappy with the 6.5PRC.
    I'm interested to know.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Banned
    There was a mag. fit issue that didn't look like being resolved. The cartridge was my preference but I couldn't spring for a semi-custom.

Hey mate I'm using the 162 eldx in my sako A7, got the same restrictive overall length of 3.34" and it shoots sweet as. No excessive pressures as long as you work up to your load etc.

Banned
    Good to know. Ill have another play in a bit

AR 2217 is the powder to use. I found AR 2225 too bulky and AR2213sc was really good for accuracy and consistency but just didn't give the speed I wanted. AR 2217 on the other hand ticks all the boxes for me. The eldx and eldm don't seem to mind the bit of jump in my rifle, nor do they seem to mind in a mates t3.

As a side note, I've also played around with the even longer 175 eldx at the same overall length (3.340) with AR 2225 and had no over pressure issues there either.

Interested to see how you get on

Banned
    Cool man, ill load up a ladder soon. I'm using imr4831 but only because I have it here. Will defo get onto the 2217 as it seems a favourite.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.