Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Time for a re crown?

Time for a re crown?

Hi Guys,

I'll paint the picture first and upload the photos tomorrow.

I went to try out some loads tonight and the results were puzzling. The guns a browning a-bolt in .270 and the recipe is:

59gr 2213sc
    SST 130gr
    once fired federal
    OAL: 84.50mm
    Velocity: 2965 (average) 22inch barrel

I'm only firing 3 shot groups. First 3 shot group terrible 2 1/2 inches. 2nd 3 shot looked good (would have been sub moa) - well the first 2 were, god knows where the 3rd went and I'm extremely concerned about this. Shot felt good and there was no way I pulled it that much that it went of the target. 3rd shot group was terrible. 4th shot group was moa. I ended the night by firing some factory winchester SP 130gr to see where they were shooting. 1st shot was well right - now not an issue if the other 2 followed suit but they didn't. The other 2 were still right but touching. The 1st shot that was right is about 4 inches away from the other 2.

Bit about the rifle - I employed a local "Gun Smith" to thread the barrel and fit a gunworks suppressor, well I wont get into that story except to say what a cock up!!! anyway, since it was being threaded it was being re crowned. A couple of guys have had a look at it and have said what a shit job. I wouldn't know as I thought this joker knew what he was doing. Now based on the above information re the targets - does this sound like I need to get my barrel re crowned?

I'm not worried about the above load as I'm going to be changing pills to sierra pro hunters so I get to start all over again , but before I do I would like to get this issue sorted first.

I hope I'm making sense - if not let me know and I'll try too. Also i'm a very novice reloader as well

Thanks Guys
    Grunta

Did it shoot before threading?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Good question, I should have put that in the original post.

Yes it shot factory 130gr sst well. The previous owner who reloaded shot sub moa. I hadn't tried any reloads through it before the threading. I don't really want to buy a box of factory sst again, I will if I have to but I've got some big financial commitments coming up so moneys a bit tight for the next few months. The only other issue would be the scope (bushnell elite 3200 4-12), but I haven't got another one to try out. I put this thread in the reloading section to see what you guys thought as I didn't think I would get that much variation with the same load. I'm not the flashest of shooters out there but I know when I pull a shot or not and the bad groups weren't down to pulled shots.

Maybe the shots are going through the same hole?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Check everything is tight scope/action screws etc, could be the old 60degree center jammed up the muzzle trick?

Re: Time for a re crown?

Shoot a couple groups without the supressor. Sounds like your clipping it if hes done a shit job on both the crown and threading it may not be square/true

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    veitnamcam likes this.

AB Precision
    put up some phots of the thread an crown?
    Bullet not striking the can if its a shit job?

Thanks for the fast reply's. All screws etc are tight. I wish the 3rd bullet had gone through the same hole, but if it has it's a one in a million fluke as there's no indication sadly. I'm assuming your refering to the abolts 60 degree bolt lift veitnamcam? Could you please explain the center jammed up the muzzle trick? I don't have the suppressor fitted as it doesn't fit because the "Gun Smith" threaded my barrel before checking what the thread type was in the suppressor.

There's an engineer here that does work on his own rifles and said he would re crown it for me but since being burnt by the last "Gun Smith" I'm not sure I want to go down that path again as I don't want my barrel getting too short because of cockups, so I'm toying with the idea of sending it to Guworks like I should have in the first place, but the cost of postage is nearly the cost of recrowning. Sounding like a tight ass!! lol

Well, sounds like that "gunsmith" needs a good kick in the nuts. he should pay you back the money to take it to a real one and get it threaded properly for your suppressor.
    VIVA LA HOWA

sorting photos now

This is my 2nd a 3rd shot group with the very bottom ones (touching) and the extreme right (1st shot) being the winchester loads. The top 2 shots above the bullseye were the second shot group and the shots to the right above the red tape is the 3rd group.

First group for the night is above the bullseye with the last shot above the red tape

Ah na I was refering to a live center up the muzzel which can push burrs up on the end of the lands.
    As Creepingdeath said try it without the can.

A crown would have to be seriously fugly to make it shoot that badly? I have seen a rifle shooting fine with a recrown job done with a leatherman...

What does the bedding look like (did he bollox that up while he had it apart?)

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Ah na I was refering to a live center up the muzzel which can push burrs up on the end of the lands.
    As Creepingdeath said try it without the can.
    Gotcha. Dont have the can as the threading was all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    A crown would have to be seriously fugly to make it shoot that badly? I have seen a rifle shooting fine with a recrown job done with a leatherman...

What does the bedding look like (did he bollox that up while he had it apart?)

I could just be a shit shot, lol, but I didn't think I would be that inconsistent. I am new to this reloading buzz but surely my reloads wouldn't be that bad considering the 3 velocity tests I did there was only a spread of 20fps which I thought was good. And i meticulously loaded the powder grains properly. The bedding job is good as far as I know. Previous owner re did it and I know for a fact he was shooting sub moa groups so I'm confident the rifle shoots well - or at least it did. As said above, I'm no gun slinger in any terms but I know when I pull shots and am honest about it and none of those wacky groups were pulled that bad. The thing that annoys me is I'm truly buggered as to where my 3rd shot went in my second group of the night.
    Last edited by Grunta; 23-10-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Did you try other loads? What velocity were you getting with factory sst loads? Es doesn't dictate group size unfortunately. Not uncommon to have single digit es loads that just won't group then have loads with ~40 that produce very tight groups.