Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 3 Post By ROKTOY
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Trout

Thread: The odd one out?

The odd one out?

I drove down the road and photographed a number of rabbits on the side of the road.... blah blah blah

Name:  white rabbit.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  260.7 KB

I have put a collection of them in the above photo.

White rabbit, I don't know much about them, a lady I was talking to said it might have been someone's pet rabbit. I drove back there later on another day to photograph the white rabbit again but it was gone. Someone told me that they thought that a cat might have got it?

Ps I think that I have seen them in the past down in the South Island during winter?

Does any one know much about feral white rabbits?

Could be white, it may of been a pet at some stage. Cant see why you cant have a white wild rabbit tho

I'm no expert by far but I think "NZ white" were bred to be farmed as a meat rabbit. But yeah that thing doesn't exactly look like it had to run for it's life, or it's food.

The white one is an ex pet. The left hand one is not a rabbit its a hare. The right one is a rabbit. The higher the density of rabbits, the more weird colours you get.
    Dundee and Goateater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post
    I drove down the road and photographed a number of rabbits on the side of the road.... blah blah blah

Attachment 233115

I have put a collection of them in the above photo.

White rabbit, I don't know much about them, a lady I was talking to said it might have been someone's pet rabbit. I drove back there later on another day to photograph the white rabbit again but it was gone. Someone told me that they thought that a cat might have got it?

Ps I think that I have seen them in the past down in the South Island during winter?

Does any one know much about feral white rabbits?
    never seen a white wild one --dont see why not- some years ago in Gisborne in suburb near my brother guy had dozens of tame rabbits and would let them out for some free grazing along street - walk out of bros house and dozens all along the grass verges and hopping around peoples lawns -all colours and sizes - 600 meters and more from the guys house - local council did eventually do something but took weeks - must have been up to 50

nah..he has weirdly coloured rabbits that almost look like hares,gingerness.
    we get all sorts in mackenzie country...brown with some white is not uncommon
    I tell you what is uncommon and Ive seen 4 of them now within 10kms of each other is white hares...not like the ones in my beard either....
    Dundee, Trout and short swede like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Remember as a kid shooting my first black rabbit. It was deemed good luck back then. IIRC I cured the skin with kero and backing soda and it lasted for years.
    Now blacks seem quite common, well in my neck of the woods at any rate.
    Micky Duck likes this.

we used to shoot the odd ginger one too...like caramel instant pudding colour,often with bits of white on them. they stand out well in spotlight lol
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The white one is an escapee, It is a "rex' type domestic, bred for its soft fur for toys and garments etc. Lower meat production than the NZ white, which is a meat breed, and has a coarser coat.
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 12-09-2023 at 06:08 PM.
    Micky Duck, XR500 and 11mms like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    The white one is an ex pet. The left hand one is not a rabbit its a hare. The right one is a rabbit. The higher the density of rabbits, the more weird colours you get.
    Not a hare...
    Micky Duck and techno retard like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Few yrs ago have seen 3 white hares in different parts of the Mc Kenzie,shot one.Didnt shoot the other 2, let them bread a bit of colour.Have seen 2 white rabbits,lots of black rabbits.Havent seen a black hare tho,he the missing puzzle. Years ago there were that many rabbits around Twizel,you could drive the canels and count up to 16-17 black rabbits in one tour.The paddocks were just moving in rabbits.Thousands n Thousands of them.One 30degree corner paddock,we just heard them into the corner n knock 200 or 300 on the head.From the corner rabbits back towards you about 4mtrs and as high as the rabbit proof netting.We just try kill the younger rabbits for eating g n cat food.Behind you in the area you walked over there were thousands running away behind you.
    Last edited by Trout; 12-09-2023 at 10:48 PM.
    Dundee likes this.

I shot this white hare
    Name:  Copy of white hare 002.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  114.2 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Got a few black rabbits and a white one,O'Rourkes taxidermy stuffed a black hare.Think this white rabbit one must of been bred with the ferals but I stuffed it anyway.
    Name:  Picture 103.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  932.4 KB
    Name:  Picture 104.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  944.5 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive