Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: 1st AR15 kill

1st AR15 kill

I went and bought a 'black fun gun' a while back. A Windham Vortex.
    Licensing rules dictated i needed a thumbhole stock, 7shot mag version. After scoping it with a Nikon P223 i loaded up some 60gr nosler B Tips and went to the range. It was immediately obvious that the gun was a shooter and in two trips to the range no group was over half an inch ! This made the choice of getting the heavy barrel vortex model easyer to live with.
    It got its first walk on the weekend and it did me proud. I dropped a mate off to hunt some riverflats covered in willows and gorse that we knew held a mob of sika, (he was keener than me) I then checked out another part of the block for a few hours. I came back to the flat at lunchtime to see if he had enough of gorse bashing. With the height of a terrace i was able to see most of the flat and even could look into open patches and clearings which werent obvious from ground level. Thinking i might see animals being pushed ahead of my mate i got into a better position at the end of the flat. (ambush set) I saw the human pin-cushion making his way like we had planned it and he looked very on edge, pushing into rubbish that no sane man would. At the debrief he said he had bumped into the mob half an hour before and was trying to catch up for a shot. After a few minutes a shot rang out from under the pretty yellow flowers, he had his reward for a tough hunt. No others broke from cover so i called up on the radio and guided the gorse predator into a clearing to show him where i was. He went back in to gut the yearling and spooked a big hind that was holding tight like a pheasant. Now it was my time to make a name for myself. She was 135 yards away and going like snot, i wondered if my mag was big enough, i wondered if the 223 was big enough, then i cleared my thoughts, took a bead and fired when it felt right. OMG a hit ! she cartwheeled in a big dust cloud but got up again and ran like snot back where she came from. A miss, a thump then another thump had her cartwheeling again and down for good. Man shooting AR15s can be fun. After this everyone wanted to carry the little heavy gun.
    Before we left i rolled a goat off a slip at 730yds with the 338FX which impressed the boys but i will remember the trip for my 1st AR15 kill.Name:  usa 14 198.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  1.17 MB

That's not a hunting rifle man. That's pretty insane. You cant shoot animals with that. That's an assault rifle.
    Beavis, Toby, nzvermin and 1 others like this.

Awesome

How is the scope? Good? bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    That's not a hunting rifle man. That's pretty insane. You cant shoot animals with that. That's an assault rifle.
    cant tell if you are taking the piss or not.

from Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1] Assault rifles are currently the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47 and the M16 rifle.
    Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.

so i say, nice sporting firearm you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    The silencer and scope make it a stealth sniper assault rifle, capable of silently picking of targets 3 miles away at a rate of fire of 30 bullets per half second. The bar connecting the stock and grip gives the stock extra strength, so you can beat things to death with it when your clipazine runs out.
    JoshC, Toby, robh500 and 5 others like this.

That is cool!
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Can't those black things shoot 5 clipazines in 1 second?
    nzvermin and Daggers_187 like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Goods work
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Great result 338 man....nice eater there....we'll done mate
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

That picture makes me uncomfortable.
    Toby likes this.

Nice work.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Thanks for the support guys. Even though i grew up watching Rambo movies i never had a want for a 'Black Gun'.
    It was only resently while working for Darren ( DPT ) i got to check out 1st hand AR15 rifles and liked the concept.
    The purchase was never intended to replace my ' Proper ' hunting rifles but i knew i needed 'sorry, wanted one !' and i am very happy with it. As a fun gun there is only one thing better than an AR15 and that is an DPT suppressed AR15
    Daggers_187 likes this.

The potential inconvenience of a thumbhole stock is greatly over shadowed by how awesome it would be to hunt with an AR15! Any particular reason for going 223 over 308?

Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    Thanks for the support guys. Even though i grew up watching Rambo movies i never had a want for a 'Black Gun'.
    It was only resently while working for Darren ( DPT ) i got to check out 1st hand AR15 rifles and liked the concept.
    The purchase was never intended to replace my ' Proper ' hunting rifles but i knew i needed 'sorry, wanted one !' and i am very happy with it. As a fun gun there is only one thing better than an AR15 and that is an DPT suppressed AR15
    +1

The DPT can on my AR is great, bought when they were on sale for $200. Hard to beat for that price!
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by JayColli View Post
    The potential inconvenience of a thumbhole stock is greatly over shadowed by how awesome it would be to hunt with an AR15! Any particular reason for going 223 over 308?
    We can hunt with ARs without thumbhole stocks.

Sent from my XT535