Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .270 ammunition recommendations

.270 ammunition recommendations

Hey guys I'm going to be getting a new tikka t3x .270 soon. First time owning and shooting a 270 so just wondering people's recommendations on best ammunition. Brand and grain etc.. Thanks in advance

Norma, try some 110 bt , never had trouble with federal either, mind you my old BSA shot PPU as good as either

Winchester 130gr ballistic silvertips work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HUNTY likes this.

just get a box of federal 130gr and start getting your eye in, nice and cheap to start then maybe look at the more expensive stuff when you start stretching the barrel a bit but it will all kill deer no worries.
    tetawa likes this.

It will like some brands better than others, only way to tell is to get a pack of each and see what goes best.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Sorted the other one for you.
    Cheers mate

light deers 130gr Corelokts or Super X, Federal for the Bigger deers 150gr corelokts, Super x , Feds... whichevers most accurate

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    270 can everyone say "pinhole" hahaha

Go for a projectile that suits ya rifle, game & range, eg If ya bush shooting lightish animals fo for a soft tip like Corelok etc, I'd stay away from Accubonds they're hard as shit.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

if it says winchester/remington or federal on the box they will do just fine for 90% of what you can ask of it.

Get something else while you have the choice

As stated already there is good ammo out there, but once happy with you're selection, stay with it. Nothing changes the characteristics of a rifle quicker than using different ammo.
    I use Federal 130g and have stayed with this for years. I hunt deer and pig. I have only needed to check the accuracy of my rifle once a year and thus far it hasn't moved since first sighted on the one type of ammo.
    The other factor is this gives you confidence in your rifle, greatly increasing the chances of a successful hunt

Norma 130gr SP is a great starting point. I have tried it in my Sako, Tikka and Sauer and it has had the best accuracy out of anything I have used. Plus the brass is bloody good for it you ever get into reloading.

I used 130gr hornady sst just the factory superformance kills anything very easy. You should just but my .270 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah you'll wanna try a few to see what your rifle likes. Personally I use 130gr Hornady SSTs & they shoot great. Was getting 1" groups at 100 with it straight out of the box. That being said, I also shoot the cheap 150gr Highland & PPU stuff & that'll still shoot 1".

defnitly try hornady 130g sst they do the job well for me. iv gone to homeloads because a mate makes them for me but id go back to hornady if I had to. iv shot reds from 10m in the bush to a few hundred in the open and none have walked away. depends what the rifle likes aswell