Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Ballard Hut Kaweka's

Just wondering if anyone has done any Roar hunting at Ballard Hut. Looking to go there in April and it is one of the few huts I have not been too and be good to get a few hints LOL.

Gotta drop down a long way to get onto them at that time of year. There’s better places to go.

I wouldn't bother with Ballard until Spring/Summer, beware getting bluffed + waterfalls if you're thinking about dropping into the Makino from there!
    Probably easier to head most of the way to Venison tops & dropping off into the headwaters of the Makino from there.

Went there once and vowed never to go back there.

Country and terrain never appealed to me much. However you never know if you strike it right?

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post

Country and terrain never appealed to me much. However you never know if you strike it right?
    Greetings,
    My sentiments exactly. Stayed there for one night on a walk out from Venison Top via Makino. Seemed awfully isolated and remote from anywhere else. By all means visit to tick the box and the country from there to Makino is magic apart from the first 20 minutes climb to get back on the main track. There is now a relocated Bivvy close to the Makino track that would be worth visiting.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post

Like all of the Kaweka tops it's a beauty spot on a good day & there are deer around but much better places to hunt in the roar.