Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By Trav-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By Hunty1
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Danny
  • 1 Post By clifford

Thread: Central Te Hoe

Central Te Hoe

We (my son, my Dad and myself) are planning our first fly-in trip - to Central Te Hoe Hut, late March / early April. Looks like steep country with plenty of options to explore up the rivers and creeks and plenty of slips. We've walked into Skips Hut and Rogers Hut a few times; not sure how similar the bush is around Central Te Hoe? Keen to take a rod as well as a riffle. Any tips for successful fishing and hunting in this area from people who have been in there would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Cool Hut. I was there a couple of weeks ago. Downstream of the Hut the river is swift so you need to be careful crossing. Lots of nettle. The area was 1080d in August so I would avoid taking a dog. There are nice flats upstream. The track towards Mangakahika goes through some nice country.
    Cowboy, tetawa and clifford like this.

Quote Originally Posted by clifford View Post
    We (my son, my Dad and myself) are planning our first fly-in trip - to Central Te Hoe Hut, late March / early April. Looks like steep country with plenty of options to explore up the rivers and creeks and plenty of slips. We've walked into Skips Hut and Rogers Hut a few times; not sure how similar the bush is around Central Te Hoe? Keen to take a rod as well as a riffle. Any tips for successful fishing and hunting in this area from people who have been in there would be very much appreciated. Cheers.
    What was the hunting like around Rogers? Long walk in?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    We walked from okahu to Rodgers and back in a day, relatively flat easy walk.
    Plenty of nice shallow rivers to hut up around the hut
    clifford likes this.

Like said above the rivers beds at this time of year are a good option. Otherwise the bush around Rogers is pretty tight, quietly walking the stoat-lines at the right time of day can be worthwhile...
    clifford likes this.

culled in there early seventies doubt hunting has changed much - my favourite area was the long ridge upstream on south side or true right above hut- on wams the ridge with the word River at bottom first decent side stream up stream from Tehoe hut - goes up to high points marked 1113 1114 1314 1330 once you get the first big grunt out of the way the ridge is not to bad - was great roar country but be good at map work it can be tricky - but I have not been there for years and I know the big Easter storm some time ago did do a lot of damage - straight opposite hut on true left is damn steep - was great trout fishing - but some gnarly crossings downstream close to hut - but then those rivers can change good luck- we used to pick up a lot of deer down close to river late evening
    Lucky likes this.

Thanks for the heads up about the river and nettle (bugger of a plant). I didn't know about the 1080 - hopefully it hasn't hit the deer too hard. I'll have a look at the flats upstram and the track towards Mangakahika - thanks for the info!

The bush is pretty dense around Rogers. Several stoat lines that can be followed to get further off the track. About 2 hrs to Skips and another 1.5 hrs to Rogers - the first half of the track from Skips to Rogers is a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    culled in there early seventies doubt hunting has changed much - my favourite area was the long ridge upstream on south side or true right above hut- on wams the ridge with the word River at bottom first decent side stream up stream from Tehoe hut - goes up to high points marked 1113 1114 1314 1330 once you get the first big grunt out of the way the ridge is not to bad - was great roar country but be good at map work it can be tricky - but I have not been there for years and I know the big Easter storm some time ago did do a lot of damage - straight opposite hut on true left is damn steep - was great trout fishing - but some gnarly crossings downstream close to hut - but then those rivers can change good luck- we used to pick up a lot of deer down close to river late evening
    Thanks Barry! Really useful - having a look at wams I can see exactly where you're talking about Will check it out!

There will be about a gazillion mosquitos hanging around Rodgers this time of year.
    Overkill is still dead.

I remember 12 vehicles at the Pukahunui road end one weekend in April. Many were in the Te Hoe catchment.
    Always a few fly in over that period also.
    tetawa likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    There will be about a gazillion mosquitos hanging around Rodgers this time of year.
    That's for sure! Heading in there in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Planning on kill a mosquitos while we're in there. Hopefully a deer as well
    Danny likes this.