Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: First .223 Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Not easy. Mainly their behaviour. If they have a fawn they do a lot of looking to where the fawn is planted and are quite nervy.

This deer actually looks younger to me. Maybe 2. And quite rounded. The suckling hinds are inclined to be a bit slabby and rangy looking. Just an opinion.
    +1. of the 6 or so hinds and fawns we watched last weekend they all fitted this description, something a younger/faster/keener hunter may not pick up on.
    Although the reds we watched where all in good condition.

Good work dougie how many shots this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Not easy. Mainly their behaviour. If they have a fawn they do a lot of looking to where the fawn is planted and are quite nervy.

This deer actually looks younger to me. Maybe 2. And quite rounded. The suckling hinds are inclined to be a bit slabby and rangy looking. Just an opinion.
    Thanks for that, i always thought you can only tell once on the ground but that makes sense, although with that grass i would not expect slabby or rangy though. Will keep that in mind

Thanks to whoever text me too
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

or if you can view the south end of a hind they have flogged out looking girl parts
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

R93
    I have killed shitloads of the friggin things and I have yet been able to pick whether a hind has a fawn in tow, by noting its condition or actions. Definitely not with any degree of certainty.
    Pretty easy to assume they have young at this time of year.
    Good to see you're confident enough to use a .223 on deer though. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

K95
    Nice one.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

You learn fast. Sit and watch the grass!
    Dougie likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Good stuff

I haven't tried any other projectiles on animals - I got a "cheese platter" from my reloading guy about a year ago and just saw what shot the best groups in my .223 and then chose that load.

Luckily, my rifle liked a great killing bullet

I have shot several dozen goats and rabbits with this projectile with great success. On goats I have shot head, neck, chest and crease shots. This is the first deer I've shot with the projectile.

As for "how many shots this time", wtf, If you read my OP you'll see that one shot just forward of the shoulder blade and into the engine room had her dead on her feet about 0.2seconds after I squeezed off the trigger

I did not recover the projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I like your style Dougie. Keep at the 223 it will make you a better hunter in my opinion.
    Dougie and Danny like this.

you go girl
    I use the barnes 50 grn TTSX in my .223 and from what Ive seen so far..definitely a step up from cup n core. couple of reds and a porker all went down no fuss at all.

dougie old girl ,congrats on the .223 debut ,and may isay your smile is getting better with age! now thats over -yep ive joined the .223 brigade and tommorrow my wee beasty is going to opening day of duck season with me.
    you see in our spot mrs piggy &co like to frolic and stroll
    i had one crack at mrs piggy with ye olde 12g having suprised her filling her ample wee guts but being as excited as a schoolboy with a copy of hustler magazine Im pretty sure i missed cause she gave a rather shitty grunt and shot through!
    the weeuns with her were faster off the mark than bloody all black wingers and had sidesteps that you wouldnt believe!
    not to be outdone theres also a few deer plus hares and roger rabbit.
    Im lookin forward to claimin me pig on a duckshooting license -"PIGS CAN FLY"