Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By hebe
  • 3 Post By hotbarrels
  • 1 Post By stagstalker
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By bazz61
  • 2 Post By Seventenths
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 2 Post By grandpamac
  • 3 Post By Nathan F
  • 2 Post By Kooza

Thread: Fly in walk out - Kawekas/Kaimanawas

Fly in walk out - Kawekas/Kaimanawas

I’m after some advice please on fly in walk out options for the Kawekas/Kaimanawas over summer.

Thinking a 3 to 4 night armed tramp, 3-4 people, happy to tent but huts are a bonus.

Current thinking is to get dropped at Tussock (subject to a landing spot) for night 1 then onto Boyd for the 2nd night, Omaru for the 3rd and walk out.

Anyone got any better options ? Happy to fly Helisika or East Kaweka.

You could always fly into the Boyd with Chris Crosse and walk your way down river to the old Burn - then over to Harkness and slowly out over the Kaweka Range.

You have heaps of options
    erniec likes this.

Plenty of options.

Can pretty much do any interior hut to Makahu or Lakes carpark.

Boyd, Tussock, Otore Biv then out could be worth a crack. Te Puke to Makahu could be good.
    Harv likes this.

Have flown into the Boyd, walked to Tussock, Harkness, Naraparoha, then back to the Harkness, Tussock, Boyd and on to the Omaru. Flew fixed wing back in the days of Air Charter Taupo.
    Great variety of country.
    7mmwsm, Danny and Harv like this.

Manson/Otutu area would be cool to walk out from too
    Harv likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Yep. That’s what I was thinking too. I think the Backridge Butcher has a couple of videos showing that route.
    stagstalker and Harv like this.

can recommend Manson to Kuripapango via the river , its an interesting hike , the track was marked with ribbons in the difficult places , plenty of trout also , summer only tho. We walked in from K up the ridge to Kiwi mouth hut, then to Manson . spent NYE in Mason hut with the late Barry Hunt , was a week all up . Great Memories from 15 odd years ago ...
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Used to do that in my late teens when dairy farming and the cows were dried off first week of May. Became an annual trip and surprisingly I rarely bumped into anyone but the animals were toey.

Fly into Manson after food drop in Ngaawapurua Hut. Hunt Manson, Otutu, Ngaawapurua, Harkness, Tussock, Boyd, Oamaru over 2.5 - 3 weeks.

Another time I went from Ngaawapurua, Harkness, Te Puke around the Kaweka tops back to Manson, Otutu & Ngaawapurua before walking out to Poronui. That trip was more of an armed tramp but a goodie.

If you ever get the chance to raft the Ngaruro then I highly recommend it. A mate and I wanted to start from the Boyd but river was low so we started from the Ngaawapurua Hut and rafted out. Awesome trip!
    Ned and Harv like this.

@Seventenths 3 weeks in there would have been amazing! The things I’d do if I lived my life again… 😀
    Seventenths and keneff like this.

Greetings Harv,
    Flew into Venison Top Hut (Tira or Kelvinator Lodge) and walked out via Ballard and Makino Huts about 20 years ago. Some great country, especially the ridge north of Whetu where you meet the main range. The hardest bit is climbing back up to the main track from Ballard Hut, about 20 minutes. You could start at Te Puke hut for a longer trip.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Ned and Harv like this.

I’d walk in and fly out. Several boned out japs are a decent load. If I could I’d start at makahu saddle and head for te puke. Have a food drop waiting there somewhere then wander out to tussock or Boyd’s for a flight home
    7mmsaum, Roarless20 and Harv like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Used to do that in my late teens when dairy farming and the cows were dried off first week of May. Became an annual trip and surprisingly I rarely bumped into anyone but the animals were toey.

Fly into Manson after food drop in Ngaawapurua Hut. Hunt Manson, Otutu, Ngaawapurua, Harkness, Tussock, Boyd, Oamaru over 2.5 - 3 weeks.

Another time I went from Ngaawapurua, Harkness, Te Puke around the Kaweka tops back to Manson, Otutu & Ngaawapurua before walking out to Poronui. That trip was more of an armed tramp but a goodie.

If you ever get the chance to raft the Ngaruro then I highly recommend it. A mate and I wanted to start from the Boyd but river was low so we started from the Ngaawapurua Hut and rafted out. Awesome trip!
    We have walked from Boyd to Kuri via the river and also rafted it. When the river is very low the top gorge is very accessible. Yes you get wet but it is walkable.

Have walked into otutu from makahu and flown out with east Kaweka, Chris dropped in spare gear and food drop at hut. Was a good trip with the old man a few years back now.
    Nathan F and Harv like this.

Thanks everyone for your feedback - I’ve narrowed it down to Tussock Hut and walk out to Helisika or Te Puke Hut and walk out to Makahu.