Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Hunting after a hip replacement

Hunting after a hip replacement

Has anyone had one?
    What changes did you have to make once you had fully recovered?

I've heard that there is a risk of dislocation with a replacement hip, is this true and how has that impacted your hunting?

Cheers

Wife was told she couln't play tennis. That was OK as she hadn't played tennis for 50 odd years.
    Needed to advise her dentist that she had a replacement hip. Some risk with some dental procedures.
    Micky Duck and imaca like this.

Ol man's had both his dun never had an issue was back on the hill 6mths after op both times
    Tahr, Micky Duck, imaca and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Has anyone had one?

I've heard that there is a risk of dislocation with a replacement hip, is this true and how has that impacted your hunting?

Cheers
    Had both done. I was on my paddle board after 28 days after the second one. Surfing it a week later.
    Rip into it

B
    Tahr, Gibo, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.

Has anyone had one?

Cheers
    With good rehab and targeted exercises, I would think you should get back to a better level of mobility then prehip replacement. However -like you say, prosthetic hips are far more likely to dislocate then native hips. But that doesn't mean all prosthetic hips disclocate. Some simple changes especially post op are needing to maintain the right angles and not bend it at a less than 90° angle etc. But building those muscles back up post op with physio therapy etc would go a long way towards avoiding that I would imagine.
    imaca and dannyb like this.

I've had both mine done. I wasn't very fit before the op and after getting it I didn't do enough rehab exercise so make sure you push yourself without going overboard. Even though I'm a lazy bugga I have a full range of motion and do quite a bit of tramping now.
    As I understood it the dental thing is because a dental infection is possible to end up in the hips.
    zimmer, 308 and dannyb like this.

Had both hips done and both knees done, the only thing that will hold you back is your mindset, just getting hips done will not alter things on the hill at all, but it will take a bit of time to get to this stage,
    (about 12 months).
    Knees, how ever do put new limitations on you. ( can't bend knees as much, making it harder to get over logs etc)
    Micky Duck, imaca and Finnwolf like this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the most useful things I had after the op were a long handled shoehorn and a cup holder cable tied to the crutches. It's difficult to put on shoes and you can't carry a cup while using 2 crutches.
    308, Micky Duck, imaca and 1 others like this.

Had both knees done 6-7yrs.Had to deleg a 12 pointer and his girl friend on Tuesday morning.So the knees are working fine.

New member here. I've had 3 replacements over the last 18 years and like Hunty says the most important thing is mindset. Do lots of rehab in the first 2 months then build up your legs with lots of walking. I do alot of back country Fly fishing and even now at 67 can still go pretty much all day with no probs. Carrying a big load could be a bit of a problem, but that's more an age thing than a hip issue.
    308 and imaca like this.

Little walks every day after surgery allows you is key.
    imaca likes this.

Thanks everyone. I hope I am a couple of years away from any surgeries and will put it off as long as possible.
    It's good to know that it is not the end of the world though, just a pause as I get my fitness back up to scratch

Cheers

Thanks everyone. I hope I am a couple of years away from any surgeries and will put it off as long as possible.
    It's good to know that it is not the end of the world though, just a pause as I get my fitness back up to scratch

Cheers

Please don't delay it, I followed that route and it backfired big time. When I did try to schedule the op they delayed me so much that by the time I got in I was no longer able to work and struggled to even walk, I was on the max dosage of pain meds (about 30/day). That is one of the reasons my recovery was so slow.

Build up your fitness in the meantime but try to get the ball rolling asap

DO NOT PUT IT OFF!! Mine was delayed " your too young " and I put up with the pain for years. When finally it was done the nurse said it was one of the worst they had seen. My recovery took more than 12 months and 5 years on I still hunt but it gives me pain at the end of a day in the hills.

I was not going to throw it away so turned it into a stick to help getting around.
    Name:  20170527_101747.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  1.99 MB

Name:  20170527_194628.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  2.35 MB

Name:  20170605_142127.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  3.28 MB
    Shamus_ and Oldbloke like this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Quote Originally Posted by john m View Post
    DO NOT PUT IT OFF!! Mine was delayed " your too young " and I put up with the pain for years. When finally it was done the nurse said it was one of the worst they had seen. My recovery took more than 12 months and 5 years on I still hunt but it gives me pain at the end of a day in the hills.

I was not going to throw it away so turned it into a stick to help getting around.
    Attachment 220394

Attachment 220396

Attachment 220397
    A man after my own heart, I kept my old hips intending to use them but the dog found them
    john m and Oldbloke like this.