Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spook

Thread: Hunting alone?

Hunting alone?

Hi new to forum and to deer hunting, have other hunting experience.

this may seem a dumb question but whats the general consesus on hunting deer on a day trip alone? was thinking of going around to some DOC land (hunting approved) and spending the day having a look around for deer(otago) but I dont have any hunting mates down south for the next few months.

cheers

There is nothing wrong with hunting alone, I prefer it. On your own you don't have to worry about where your mate is in the bush. You don't have to worry about if he can get away to hunt when you do. You don't have to put up with his wife/girlfriend interfering with hunting plans. If you feel you need companionship...get a dog...best mate you can have in the bush...dogs keep secrets when you fuck up when hunting, 'mates' tell everyone.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

I prefer to hunt alone either out for the day or away for a few ,in saying that its nice to hunt with the mr's ,and dont mind going with a mate .

Generally alone, although in twos it can be pretty productive

Just leave guys that superman it in to puddles at home when being sneaky :rolleyes:

I've been lucky to have a mate who was always keen to hunt any time any where . It's only of late he's not as keen as he used to be . So Ill go on my own . Prefer to hunt with him , we've hunted so much together I just works . I don't like the idea of wasting meat so we will carry every thing out sharing the load . On a over nighter makes scence too 1 tent1 cooker sometimes 1 gun 1 camera (SLR).

Quote Originally Posted by jimme18 View Post
    Hi new to forum and to deer hunting, have other hunting experience.this may seem a dumb question but whats the general consesus on hunting deer on a day trip alone? was thinking of going around to some DOC land (hunting approved) and spending the day having a look around for deer(otago) but I dont have any hunting mates down south for the next few months.cheers
    No disrespect to the north island hunters bush hunting has it's risks but hunting on your own sometimes seems the norm. , i believe jimme south island tops hunting can be risky on your own . Try to find a keen as hunting mate . Way safer

Hunt by myself more than I do with mates. Quite often do 2 or 3 day trips alone. It's my time to get away, relax and think about life generally...can't do that with a mate constantly in your ear! You've only got to worry about yourself, not under any pressure to hunt a particular way, alot quieter, and its very enjoyable.

But also do alot of hunting with good mates. It's really neat sharing hunting experiences with a good friend, and its also nice having someone around camp at night for a bit of company.

Some great ideas, yeah just was a little concerned with safety as new to hunting out in bush. Cheers fellas

I've never been out on my own but I would recommend leaving some intentions behind with someone before you head off. My friends mock me a little for this (my family sure doesn't though) but I always leave a little self-made "HELP" form including map series, number, GR for where my car is parked, who I'm with and contact details, maybe even a short write up on the day(s) plans complete with GR for intended furthest areas travelled and a SAR time.

It sounds like a lot but once you've done it a few times it just takes a few minutes, might save your neck one day. It's worth it I reckon.

Oh and don't forget to leave it with someone that will actually ring the cops if you don't make contact before your SAR time, and make sure you don't forget to contact them when you are safe and sound!! woops...!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Ok...someone has to ask...what are you on about...Timmay
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Ok...someone has to ask...what are you on about...Timmay
    Me and Pointer took a mate of mine to spot x and upon us spotting a swamp donkey to tip over we started our stalk in. We came across some large deep puddles - more like lakes - that we had to cross so in go me and pointers feet and proceed to walk through the puddle without lifting our feet out of the water - aka quietly. About 5 seconds later there is a huge slash., then SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH as my mate tried to jump the bloody thing, only made it 5 feet in and then stumbled the rest of the way. His arms where flying everywhere too - rather funny now just not at the time.

I would recommend buying PLB if you intend going out alone. Cheap insurance.