Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By kimjon

Thread: Hunting the NZ way

Hunting the NZ way

I am working on an eventual trip to NZ for the purpose of hunting Red Stag (maybe other ungulates too) and I have been trying to educate myself on the nuances of the NZ hunt. Youtube has been educational but does raise a number of questions. The hunting seems to be either in the bush or above the treeline. Is there a season where above the treeline is "better" and a different season when the stags are at lower elevations or is it more of a geographic issue? (I intend to go on public land - does that generally mean higher elevations?)

Is there a particular reason why many people use suppressors? Are there noise regulations which dictate when one needs to use a suppressor? (Please note that I live in California where it is not legal to own a suppressor so I am not use to seeing hunters with them.)

Scotty
    If you learn to laugh at yourself, you will never be left unamused.

Suppressor is personal preference mate no restrictions. Some hunt with brakes even.

Above the tree line (commonly called the "tops") is productive in the warmer months when good feed is available from around November to now ish depending on the nuances of the weather and seasons.

Publicland elevation can be and is from sea level to the top of our highest mountain.

Suppressors,brakes are legal here and there is no requirement to use either.

Rimfires and shotguns are not permited on public land without special permits.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There are some pretty good books about red deer hunting in NZ, not sure how you will get on trying to find them in the U.S, ebay or perhaps someone on here might be able to sort you out.
    Red Deer in New Zealand, Roger Lentle Frank Saxton - Shop Online for Books in NZ
    ebf, Scouser and Boulderman like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

When do you intend to come will determine the season and where you want to go might determine were you are going to hunt.
    Get fit, animals on public land are not always that easy to get to. Youtube often doesn't show you the hard yakka before and after the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    There are some pretty good books about red deer hunting in NZ, not sure how you will get on trying to find them in the U.S, ebay or perhaps someone on here might be able to sort you out.
    Red Deer in New Zealand, Roger Lentle Frank Saxton - Shop Online for Books in NZ
    Great tip! Thank you very much. I just ordered it.

Any other book suggestions or website links for hunting, fishing (both fresh and boat-based salt water), and scuba diving would be greatly appreciated.

Scotty

Scotty

Nz its a varied place, there is easy hunting and then there's some of the hardest hunting you could do. Most YouTube clips are of the south island, its general better hunting down there (easier bush, less people, more deer...but bigger hills to climb). North island has a lot of variety and within a couple hours drive it looks like another country altogether.

Be prepared to put in the hard yards on public land as most other kiwis already do, so close deer are few and far between.

In nz you can hunt anytime of year for any species and any sex (no buck or doe seasons here). For deer there is no limit on how many we can shoot...it's pretty free and easy in that regard.

YouTube will give you an idea, but a highly edited version of the facts. Most likely you'll put in about 4 days hunting to get one animal.

Kj
    Daggers_187 likes this.

I wonder if Greg Duleys show is available overseas. That would give a good insight
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    I wonder if Greg Duleys show is available overseas. That would give a good insight
    Not on YouTube. On what network might I find the program?

Scotty

Pm sent, we can help you out
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks, Josh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk