Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By craigc
  • 1 Post By Dundee

Thread: I found your deer

I found your deer

If you gut shot and lost a deer in central NI recently I can tell you where to find it!

Name:  DSCF3417.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  439.6 KB
    Thanks to the Playstation we have the outdoors to ourselves!

What a waste: oh noes:

TJM
    Good reason to improve our shooting skills! not a good way for any living thing die

Hang about. Did you flip it over? If not, how did you know that it was an entry hole, and not an exit hole? It could have been hit anywhere in the fatal zone on the other side, depending on the angle.

The odd one gets away. The odd one gets hit too far back. We try our best to avoid it, but that’s the reality.
    Dundee, RichieRich, BRADS and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hang about. Did you flip it over? If not, how did you know that it was an entry hole, and not an exit hole? It could have been hit anywhere in the fatal zone on the other side, depending on the angle.

The odd one gets away. The odd one gets hit too far back. We try our best to avoid it, but that’s the reality.
    Could have also been heavily quartering away and that was entry. Or could have just been a bad shot

Shame that, but it has happen to the best of us at some point.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post

Yeah who knows, I didn't roll it over... Not too interested in rotting carcass autopsy! Here's a close up attached. Is that exit or entry? Looks like side on entry but I don't really know so maybe someone else does. Not that it matters anyway I just thought it was interesting. Yeah some non-fatal shot are par for the course and I'm no master marksman myself having gut shot animals (that I caught up with fortunately), but not a pleasant experience. The antlers were gone so at first I thought someone had shot it and just taken them but it looks like they had already shed naturally.

I had crept up on it and was about to shoot it but realised it was probably dead... Almost killed a dead deer!

Name:  DSCF3419.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  454.5 KB

Looks like an exit to me; why would an entry there be any bigger than the bullet diameter?

I lost one on the weekend, it sucks!
    BRADS and Gibo like this.

I figured it was too round and clean for an exit and the skin had just stretched back a little from rotting... We'll never know, but I'm sure the shooter was pretty unhappy about losing it. Although sometimes you probably aren't certain you hit it anyway if it's that far off or moving that fast. I gut shot a goat once through sheer excitement and it ran off. I found it and put it down half an hour later when it started wailing like a lost child... All part of it but not something I want to repeat any time soon.

No worries,DOC does worse than any hunter would even try to inflict pain or suffering.
    falconhell likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

And DOC knows it's going to happen, while a hunter does his best to not make it happen.

shit happens