Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By McNotty
  • 3 Post By whanahuia
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Kelton
  • 1 Post By whanahuia
  • 1 Post By Rangidan
  • 1 Post By Rangidan

Thread: Kelly Knights

Kelly Knights

Gidday, I know that DOC have closed the track due to land owner access disputes but I’ve read that you can drop down into river and come back up to track entry.
    Has anyone done this recently? My dad is getting on and I’d like to do some trips with him before we lose the opportunity.

Also, is it feasible to carry on up to the tops for a day trip? Both reasonably fit. TIA

Cheers
    the.camo.butcher likes this.

@popshot is you expert on that spot.

While I don't know what the current dispute is, Ive used that track alot over the years and talked with many of the managers and owners there. I suspect it will have been a mix of reasons but cant help wondering if its due to some of the poaching and trespass they had to put up with?

Its worth ringing the owners, explaining you situation, and asking if they will allow you through.
    Shearer, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Gidday, I know that DOC have closed the track due to land owner access disputes but I’ve read that you can drop down into river and come back up to track entry.
    Has anyone done this recently? My dad is getting on and I’d like to do some trips with him before we lose the opportunity.

Also, is it feasible to carry on up to the tops for a day trip? Both reasonably fit. TIA

Cheers
    If it's the tops to the south of Kelly knight you want to access you can go up the Pari track. No further really. And if you want creek/lower hunting similar to Kelly Knight you will get it in the Pari stream and the next stream south. Both easily accessible from the Pari track.
    Ross Nolan likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If it's the tops to the south of Kelly knight you want to access you can go up the Pari track. No further really. And if you want creek/lower hunting similar to Kelly Knight you will get it in the Pari stream and the next stream south. Both easily accessible from the Pari track.
    Thanks Tahr, went up the Pari track a couple years ago. That lower level bush south of track looked the business for some bush hunting.
    We came out on to tops to about 30 plus degrees and no wind. Was a stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    Thanks Tahr, went up the Pari track a couple years ago. That lower level bush south of track looked the business for some bush hunting.
    We came out on to tops to about 30 plus degrees and no wind. Was a stinker.
    After about 30 mins or so walking up the Pari track if you turn right (southish) you will eventually strike an excellent old slip which drops into the creek. It's a great spot. And you can hunt right up that creek. You can also drop into that creek at the second camp site at the foot of the main climb.
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-11-2023 at 02:07 PM.
    199p, Micky Duck and ZQLewis like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

From what I understand it’s a combination of poaching and someone made a complaint around animal welfare. I’ve tried calling a number of times and been told in no uncertain terms no. I hunted a lot up there over the years and met the manager no less than half a dozen times. He simply isn’t interested in letting anyone through.

You can drop down into the river and there's a high chance of a deer while you’re down there but I imagine you’d still need the farm managers permission to drop down into the river as you have to access through his farm land and park your car there. No harm in giving him a call and trying your luck though.

Another option would be Purity Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    From what I understand it’s a combination of poaching and someone made a complaint around animal welfare. I’ve tried calling a number of times and been told in no uncertain terms no. I hunted a lot up there over the years and met the manager no less than half a dozen times. He simply isn’t interested in letting anyone through.

You can drop down into the river and there's a high chance of a deer while you’re down there but I imagine you’d still need the farm managers permission to drop down into the river as you have to access through his farm land and park your car there. No harm in giving him a call and trying your luck though.

Another option would be Purity Hut.

Correct a animal welfare issue raised by a tramper that was no more and no less than a cow in a swamp that’d got itself stuck rather than alert staff a complaint was made said cow was found and rescued by staff well before they received a complaint in which case they closed access a shame was really good access spent a lot of time their nice farm to fat cattle go figure
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thats so sad! The outdoors community is its own worst enemy sometimes. I suspect like probably many others, I used to tell the manager that I'd leave a bottle of wine or dozen of beer in the intentions book box at gate, because it always pays to be grateful and recognise that showing some gratitude might make up for some of the silly actions of others.
    They were really good. A couple of times I wanted to head in via Rangi and come out through the farm after they had officially closed the property for the winter. The manager both times said yes.
    And as said, the farm was always well run and stock looked great. I really feel terrible about that news.
    Micky Duck likes this.

There is public access into the river through the farm at the end of pouranaki road, you do need permission.Its a good walk up the river and then you can climb up to the track when you get past the farmland, gets hard going if you stay in the river. Tops access at the hut to the Rangi side,and north access half way up the track.
    30late likes this.

I can remember going though the farm at the end Pouranaki road and up the river, was many years ago though and yeah it is a good walk if you are going up to Kelly Nights hut.
    Only other option is to drop into the Pari from Mania road end and down to the Pouranaki , but probably no difference time wise

Quote Originally Posted by Rangidan View Post
    There is public access into the river through the farm at the end of pouranaki road, you do need permission.Its a good walk up the river and then you can climb up to the track when you get past the farmland, gets hard going if you stay in the river. Tops access at the hut to the Rangi side,and north access half way up the track.
    Are you sure?
    Access to purity through Richards place is all good, but i thought access through to Kelly Knights was turned off by the Hopkins group?

Quote Originally Posted by Sika 8 View Post
    Are you sure?
    Access to purity through Richards place is all good, but i thought access through to Kelly Knights was turned off by the Hopkins group?
    Different road end, Hopkins access is shut due to a landlocked title issue! Walk up the river.
    Sika 8 likes this.