Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By SmokeyJason
  • 3 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By cb14
  • 2 Post By duckndeer

Thread: Lake Katherine Wapiti Block

Lake Katherine Wapiti Block

We have got the 2nd period from the 30 March in the Lake Katherine Wapiti Block. Our knowledge of the area is limited to what we have just noted from looking at the Topo map - a track up Katherine Creek to Henry Pass that appears to give reasonable access to the tops at the eastern boundary of the block- going north (Mt Henry, Middle Peak and Nita Peak, & south (Marguerite Peaks ,West Peak to Saddle Hill).

It appears the options to drop back down the faces into Katherine Creek appear to be extremely limited. 2 old youtube video viewed gave a brief account 1 party almost to the bottom and hung-up and the other a getting a chopper in a lifted out.
    Combined with out ages (65-73yrs) & agility we would be keen to get advice of what routes down of the above tops is ok. Also any info on up / down access / hunting options on the ridges either side of South West Arm at the western end of the block.

At your ages I'd look at swapping for another block. Nothing to lose.
    tetawa likes this.

I havent been into this area but based on experiences in other close valleys- its pretty easy to get in the shit - like getting 95% of the way down a spur or face and getting bluffed with the valley floor in sight. The improvements in deer numbers might have opened up a few of the old deer trails that solved these sorts of problems but I wouldnt bet on it.

I wouldn’t bother with those tops, been there done that, but I got dropped on Henry saddle.

Don’t want to be a downer but if I was you I would look to fly in a small boat and motor and have a bloody good time at the hut plus explore the South West Arm of the block. Much more likely to have roaring action in that area. The hanging basin below expedition peak is pretty cool.

Bit of fishing etc as a bonus

It will be a humbling experience at your age in my opinion (unless you are abnormally fit). Expect to see low animal numbers, but still potential on a big bush old boy.
    r87mm, Gkp and XR500 like this.

Hey man give me a call 0278473826 we were there 2nd period last year

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

i rekon i could leave the missus in queenstown an do an extra 9 days in katherine with yas haha

but il be fked if im payin $600 more dollars for the oppertunity

I got dropped off at Saddle Hill and glassed the tops for a few days then walked down to 575 at the top of the Overlander Stream and then down the valley to the coast and along to the George Sound Hut. Definitely don't do that route! It was a hell mission and didn't see any deer. Stick to the main valley or head around to South West Arm in a boat, these were much better. PM me if you want to to give me a call.
    r87mm likes this.

As it’s been said Boat, Hut, flats = one heck of a trip you’ll see animals
    cb14 and r87mm like this.

A little boat is a must, had it 3rd period in 22, if the hunting is crap you can always go catch fish, plenty there just watch for the sharks, they come right into the boat launching spot by the hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.L View Post
    A little boat is a must, had it 3rd period in 22, if the hunting is crap you can always go catch fish, plenty there just watch for the sharks, they come right into the boat launching spot by the hut.
    And right up to your legs while your retrieving a jig head you forgot to take out of blue cods mouth before you threw it back to sea. Haha had a 1.2 to 1.5m seven giller have a go at me brushed up against me in knee deep water right outside the heli pad haha

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

We had a little 2.4m inflatable, I caught one on a hand line that was as long as the boat, line got cut real dam quick!!

Awesome history there. Packrafts served us well on Lake Katherine and for fishing on the Sound.
    https://youtu.be/8FzoTB7ZoOs?si=E5vv40eY2b_2Ioxh
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."