Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New to NZ, Keen on getting into hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishkiwi View Post
    I'm trying to budget myself for under 400 dollars right now
    Try pick up a second hand baikal single shot 308, 7.62x39 or 223? they come up from 200-400 on trademe every so often.

Get yourself a 303 plenty on trade me for less than $400, will kill all you want.

sturg4
    I'm trying to budget myself for under 400 dollars right now, as i said All i can find is an SKS and mosin nagant >.< I looked at a 7mm but it was a little out my price range.. I don't intend to try shooting further than 200-250yds
    And if your see a deer at 260m on a slip across the river, you will try, believe me you will try.

Welcome SK.
    For a hunting set up in my h o I'd never recommend a SKS.
    6.5x55 are often as cheap as $400 and would suit your needs. .303 also. As VC and others have said we have some great calibre's that will do the job. Cheap at times too.

I wouldn't be in a huge hurry either. A walk around as an unarmed tramper looking for sign while accumulating another $200=$600 and we're talking an even better firearm; one that can last years and shoot as straight as any 'Highlander' would hope...
    luck bro.
    Dan M

Thanks for the help everyone Didn't know it was legal to buy them online I thought it had to be from a dealer. Might look into it.

Mosin nagant for $250 from reloaders, and 203gr soft point from barnaul $1 per round (100 rounds inc courier cost)

I got a sks off trademe for $350, again barnaul is the cheapest soft point ammo at .60c per round, FMJ's from guncity are cheaper but not very effective on game.

I would recommended the mosin because stopping power and bayonet, but the sks will be a lot handier and more versatile like for things like possums and magpies.

Heya, Thanks for that! I'm actually in mid process of getting it, Just have to get the visit from the arms officer to make sure my rack is in good order.

And I'll be getting an SKS 7.62x39 so probably deer/pigs/goats what not, I'd do birds like ducks and pheasants but I've heard its really hard finding places to shoot with a shotgun.
    As I said I'm just getting into it over here, I used to do it with a bow back in Scotland.
    My choice wouldnt be a Sks for hunting, except they are cheap. I'd suggest a bolt action.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Save up and buy a good used bolt action rifle in one of the popular medium deer hunting calibres Don't waste your money on an SKS; it's not a hunting rifle. Look on Trade Me or on here. Take your time and buy once.

Best to join the Deer Stalkers Association and ask the advice of some of the more experienced hunters there. You may even get invited on a hunt.
    Danny likes this.

303 ishapore No1 mk3 | Trade Me

Here you go, an indian made lee enfeild chambered in 7.62 real feckin nato.

Actually a good deal and I have been looking for one of these. Gutted I am on holiday and no funds

Offer the guy 200 for it.

I am with the rest of the guys regarding the sks you can pick up some good parker hales in the popular calibers for around the $4-500 mark so do not limit yourself in choices also while waiting for your firearms license to be approved if you could save up the extra 2-300 dollars you could get a brand new marlin X7 with scope and for a budget rifle they are very accurate.
    Danny likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

sneakywaza I got
    Jumping on the bandwagon also, SK, a few hundred will get you a Parker Hale in a number of decent humane calibres, a Lee Enfield, the Russian ect and you will have a rifle able to cleanly kill NZ game at sensible ranges, an SKS or anything else chambered in .762x39 is callous and irresponsible beyond a hundred yards. You are now in a country stacked full of hunters with generations of hunting experience. Listen.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    762x39 is callous and irresponsible beyond a hundred yards.
    For deer I wouldn't even give it that.

But it's great on goats and smaller!

Name:  1393566554990.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  41.4 KB

My mistake I see that Ishapore is 303, I just saw that skim read that name and assumed 7.62 nato.

Quote Originally Posted by tararua View Post
    Mosin nagant for $250 from reloaders, and 203gr soft point from barnaul $1 per round (100 rounds inc courier cost)

I got a sks off trademe for $350, again barnaul is the cheapest soft point ammo at .60c per round, FMJ's from guncity are cheaper but not very effective on game.

I would recommended the mosin because stopping power and bayonet, but the sks will be a lot handier and more versatile like for things like possums and magpies.
    Shit I hope you ain't gonna go running round the hills with bayonet attached... I have seen some weird things in the hills, but I reckon that would take the cake....... I would suggest like the others to look around for something better suited to hunting than moisin or SKS.....save a bit more and get something that will make life easier for you.... Can get some decent guns cheap enough but don't rush into a sale.....find something that shoulders nicely and fits you.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    Shit I hope you ain't gonna go running round the hills with bayonet attached... I have seen some weird things in the hills, but I reckon that would take the cake....... I would suggest like the others to look around for something better suited to hunting than moisin or SKS.....save a bit more and get something that will make life easier for you.... Can get some decent guns cheap enough but don't rush into a sale.....find something that shoulders nicely and fits you.
    Gonna get me a Moisin, stick the bayonet on, get me a tin hat and go charging around the hills, just gotta figure out how to get a deer to stand still long enough for me to shout "fix bayonets!" at the top of my lungs, and then "charge!", might not get many deer I guess, but you could bring your camera if you want
    Pengy likes this.