Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 2 Post By bosh
  • 3 Post By The Hunters Club

Thread: Non hunter in wapiti block

Non hunter in wapiti block

I wondered if it was allowed to have a non hunter (not on the ballot list) join a group of hunters into a wapiti block during the ballot period.
    Joining for the adventure, photography and fishing etc.
    I contacted the foundation but no response.
    My feeling was that being public land with open access to other fishermen and trampers etc it shouldn’t be an issue. However, could also see why it might not be the done thing and wouldn’t want to be seen to be doing the wrong thing by mistake. Cheers

I can't see problem with that..but yeah contact DOC and double check.would ruin trip to have it cause an issue
    75/15/10 black powder matters

My understanding is yes, anyone can visit at any time (including non-hunter in the ballot period). The only restriction is during the rut, and this is only for hunting.

This also means that you don't have exclusive access to the block, only to hunt it. So fishermen, trampers, climbers, bird watcher etc, may be present during your ballot period.

Pretty sure the NZHunter crew have gone along purely as camera crew/tag-a-longs when they didn’t get their own block one year. Should be fine if it’s as a designated non-hunter, I’d imagine.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I hadn’t considered that it was likely a question for DOC rather than the foundation, so I’ll check with them. It sounds like we should be fine though.

Cameraman Dave
    Pretty sure you're okay to tag along with a party, but if the imagery you plan to capture is being used for any commercial undertaking (a monetised YouTube channel or product shots for a hunting brand) then you'll need to get a concession through DOC, which can be a very tricky task - especially if you're heading into one of the core blocks.

But if you're just heading in for the adventure, then you're right as rain...
    timattalon, Micky Duck and Dingo like this.

I got confirmation on this from the wapiti foundation earlier this year when someone's spouse was considering coming but not hunting:

"You can take non hunters with you if you get a block, they do not require permits."

Probably best bet is to email the FWF and follow up with a call letting them know so there are no surprises on the day.