Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: November Tahr/Chamois Hunt

November Tahr/Chamois Hunt

Hey guys, so me and my son have decided to set the wheels in motion for a November Tahr/Chamois hunt, then a couple days on a property through HQ for pigs/goats/Wallaby. From the research I have been doing it sounds like the Tahr may still have their winter coats at that time, the weather is generally more stable and they might be a bit lower down. I have reached out to a few Heli outfits to discuss options, and try and gather any intel they may be willing to part with lol......I am just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a heli company that they have used? i understand google is my friend to find them, but that wont replace first hand experience. Also, have gathered that the best option is to have a plan for both West and East coasts, in case the weather blows in on one side or the other so have started reaching out to providers in both areas.

It seems like there is almost too much information on where to drop, but initial thoughts are somewhere in the Whataroa as a first option....any recent opinions on that area would be awesome!

For what its worth, we're no strangers to the mountains and do alot of sheep hunting and Mtn goats when we were able to here, but I do understand that NZ terrain is a whole different demon. Plan to rent a weather radio, have a sat phone and inreach already, and I think we're kitted up appropriately gear wise (4 season tent, proper bags, proper clothing, etc) and have used our set-up through some fairly nasty stretches in the rockies.

Really appreciate any recommendations, and thank you in advance. If anyone has any questions regarding anything in and around Alberta or BC (I know hunting is a bit different as a guide or host is needed), but travel, good hikes, good fishing, whatever, let me know. Happy to repay any tips with some of my own! Cheers!
    199p and HarryMax like this.

I'm your huckleberry. Can u pm me?
    CanuckHunterAB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    I'm your huckleberry. Can u pm me?
    Hey, thank you sir! I cant seem to be able to PM you. May be that I am too new.....are you able to initiate the messaging by chance? Apologies for the hassle.....

Conversely if your unable to message me, my email is mytrailcam84@gmail.com

If you could shoot me a message there we could connect. Im guessing your a heli provider, would love to chat and get something lined up! Thanks again!

At present live in the land of Oz, here my cphone will not allow me to initiate a pm, therefore I have a wee problem. We can overcome this if you post lots of content and then be able to pm me. I am not a helicopter pilot but do have a vast knowledge of hunting in nz.

Well that is very much appreciated appreciated again, thank you!! I will keep posting away and send you a PM as soon as I can. Cheers and chat soon!!

And while we wait how about some stories and pics.

Absolutely.....i'll do a write up tomorrow with some Alberta focused stuff. Wasnt sure if there would be an appetite for that on a NZ forum, but most certainly! Off to bed for the evening, but tomorrow will get a few up for sure! As a starter, the first picture is my sons Muley from this year, was a fine 2nd muley buck. Lucky little bugger got a "3 horned" one for his first a couple years ago. He's got horseshoes up his arse.

The first muley was his target buck in 2021. We spotted him early in September, and even though we saw plenty larger and better scoring, he had his heart set on that particular buck. We located him the second day of the season, but we kept bumping him, and he ended up taking it at 604yds. We've been shooting since he could walk basically, and he is in a competitive youth shooting league. Wasnt ideal to send one from that distance, but with alot of tags in the area, and it being close to the end of the day and a perfect prone shooting scenario, he let one go with with his 7mm RM and down it went.

Name:  IMG_5963.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  837.2 KB

This years was quite different. He drew a low priority tag in a heavily hunted area, so expectations were quite low. After a week of hunting, this buck was the best we were able to locate, and was left largely alone as it was inside a 10,000ac foot access only area (lots of road hunting here, foot access areas you often have to yourself). We watched him for a couple hours until him and a group of does moved into an area that would allow us to close the distance, and at 171yds he put one in the boiler room with his 6.5PRC and down it went.

Name:  IMG_1530.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  1.07 MB

I also had a tag, and when i saw this heavy old warrior, i couldnt pass him up. Tough to find mass like this, and it was bloody old deer.....the stalk was only about 1km, and shot was 224yds with our 257Wby.

Name:  IMG_3615.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  919.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3613.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  3.54 MB

Here is a whitetail as well to end the evening that I got in 2022. Kind of a cool story on this one.....Me and the family purchased a 140ac piece of land back near where I grew up in late Sept of 2022. The day we got possession I went and hung a few trail cams (cell cams that never ended up working, i hate those things), and me and the boy came back to check them a week later. The VERY FIRST picture I had on the first cam that I checked was of this buck. I couldnt believe my eyes haha. From that moment onward, no other buck was on the hit list, it was this guy or bust. We built a tower blind in a corner where he routinely showed up on cam, and after many days of sitting, he finally showed up with plenty of legal light to spare and I had the first buck off our new property. There are a few up and comers on cam that definitely carry his genetics, so looking forward to the coming years as I think there will be several more similar to him or larger to come along. This guys tines were a bit short, theres a couple younger deer that will carry the similar junk but be taller for sure.

Attachment 243767
    Attachment 243768
    Last edited by CanuckHunterAB; 14-02-2024 at 10:03 PM.

Mighty fine Mule deer, the three antler one is a classic head alright.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckHunterAB View Post
    Here is a whitetail as well to end the evening that I got in 2022. Kind of a cool story on this one.....Me and the family purchased a 140ac piece of land back near where I grew up in late Sept of 2022. The day we got possession I went and hung a few trail cams, and me and the boy came back to check them a week later. The VERY FIRST picture I had on the first cam that I checked was of this buck. I couldnt believe my eyes haha. From that moment onward, no other buck was on the hit list, it was this guy or bust. We built a tower blind in a corner where he routinely showed up on cam, and after many days of sitting, he finally showed up with plenty of legal light to spare and I had the first buck off our new property. There are a few up and comers on cam that definitely carry his genetics, so looking forward to the coming years as I think there will be several more similar to him or larger to come along. This guys tines were a bit short, theres a couple younger deer that will carry the similar junk but be taller for sure.

Attachment 243767
    Attachment 243768
    Here is the first pic of him, as well as the half arsed tower blind we threw together lol.

Give Malcolm a call at Mesopotamia station. Station air I think his business is called . He flys in tahr hunters on a daily basis and will sort you out . Good to deal with and a ton of knowledge .

Quote Originally Posted by Rendogg View Post
    Give Malcolm a call at Mesopotamia station. Station air I think his business is called . He flys in tahr hunters on a daily basis and will sort you out . Good to deal with and a ton of knowledge .
    Thats a name that keeps popping up when im searching through here as a definite go-to guy. The more im looking the more it seems like maybe Lawerence Bivvy or Lyall is a better bet for plan#1. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Plus one for Malcom. Give St Winifreds a look, nice hut or push up up to Veil bivouac. Solid hut well looked after by the local NZDA. In November the Thar are easy to spot with the distinct golden coats - early afternoon usually down lower. Check out NZ Hunter program when the fathers and daughters go for a hunt - season 8? they are in the Rangitata area.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven708 View Post
    Plus one for Malcom. Give St Winifreds a look, nice hut or push up up to Veil bivouac. Solid hut well looked after by the local NZDA. In November the Thar are easy to spot with the distinct golden coats - early afternoon usually down lower. Check out NZ Hunter program when the fathers and daughters go for a hunt - season 8? they are in the Rangitata area.
    Thank you for the info sir and I will look into the NZ Hunter program! As for the tahr being easier to spot, i have heard that in and around November......its funny when a guy doesnt have eyes for something new. Seems I can spot a group of bighorn no problem a drainage over almost with the naked eye if they're on their feet lol, but I went Auodad hunting in Texas with a buddy from there, and I had a bugger of a time finding them in the binos even with someone telling me where they were haha! Another reason Nov is appealing! Thanks again!