Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Shooting Baboons with a Tikka T3 260

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Is it just me or do other people find this sort of thing a bit sick. Hey we shoot heaps of stuff here, all introduced and all of it pests. I have no problem with that. But going out and shooting animals which to me look to be in great condition not skinny or diseased because there is a drought. Yeah nah. You can justify it to yourself but you wont convince me. Unfortunately the internet is full of blokes making themselves look big by killing stuff.
    I don't really care if I convince you or not, but when you live hours and hours from civilization and live off the land and these bloody things raid your vege garden you are going to shoot them. Whats the difference to shotung a rabbit or possum in the vege garden?
    25/08IMP and Zamkiwi like this.

Yeah yeah I know and see your points Canada Geese are a pest in the South Island still don't like seeing them slaughtered on Lake Ellesmere and up the high country when they are flappers so are Black Swans up here they move out of the Waikato because most of the lakes they survive on a soo toxic nothing grows there then they turn up on the Manukau Harbour and they get slaughtered as flappers here as well. We sure have a way of stuffing up everything we touch.

There is though an element here in NZ that will shoot anything with blood in it, and justify it by calling them "pests". And some of them are indeed pests, but often not in the context or environment that they get shot in. I'm thinking of things like harrier hawks, gulls, pukekos...even spur wing plovers. Hares are a favourite animal of mine, and in some areas quite rare. In these areas, why would you want to shoot one just for the sake of it - when its not actually behaving like a pest.?

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    I don't really care if I convince you or not, but when you live hours and hours from civilization and live off the land and these bloody things raid your vege garden you are going to shoot them. Whats the difference to shotung a rabbit or possum in the vege garden?
    The dealings I have had with Baboons in Africa over last 8 years is they are cute until they steal your lunch.( and that is the least thing they do)
    I don't condone shooting anything for sport but culling has to be done.
    Africa is not NZ .
    How many times do you see people getting upset about Aussies shooting the poor old Skippy?
    Baboons will destroy gardens and a large percentage of Africa still live on what they grow.
    they are bloody deadly if cornered and I can tell you that from personal experience as I surprized one in change rooms one morning.
    Love walking my gun

Why don't all the starving Africa kids eat baboons?
    Hmmm what would they tast like

Quote Originally Posted by FatLabrador View Post
    Why don't all the starving Africa kids eat baboons?
    Hmmm what would they tast like
    They do, my staff used to love eating the crop raiding monkeys I shot, they would fight over them.

Not much protein goes to waste in africa, they will eat pretty much anything.
    gadgetman and Ryan like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I understand the situation and a pest is a pest but I could not even click the link...kudus pick was even too much for me.
    Too close to Human for me,I am sure I would feel different if they were raiding my crops I need to survive the winter tho.

It is all about exposure and experience and I have none of either.
    Tahr, Pointer and northdude like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Baboons are very intelligent! They can tell the difference between men women and kids. They also know when your armed, even if you pick up a rock! There are plenty of reports of a them killing kids and women. Yes they may look similar to us but there eyes to me are malicious. Now if you look into a Chimpanzee our Gorillas eyes you don't seem to get that even in the wild!
    I'd shoot baboons with out a second thought now! But I'd don't think I would have even considered doing it before spending time in Africa!
    Like some of the guys say wait till you meet one!
    nor-west, Tommy and Zamkiwi like this.

Awesome video. Made me really home sick

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Caretaker

Shooting Baboons with a Tikka T3 260

Quote Originally Posted by dawies View Post
    Awesome video. Made me really home sick

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    There are 4 videos in sequence of their weeks holiday in the Oxwagon, some really neat country and animals there, the Kudu were a surprise
    dawies likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I've got some baboon teeth somewhere at home, I'll dig them out and load up a picture or two. 4 inches of nope
    Spudattack likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I've got some baboon teeth somewhere at home, I'll dig them out and load up a picture or two. 4 inches of nope
    Name:  FB_IMG_1487420238988.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  73.5 KB

Not the only thing to watch for
    Love walking my gun

I did a tour through some of Africa many years ago as part of my OE. The baboons were the scariest animal I encountered. Sitting next to the track baring their big teeth at you as you walked by, evil looking bastards & fast! Only other time I was worried was going to the toilet late at night after eating something dodgy, spooked a big porcupine in the bushes, he took off & it was all I could do not to shit myself.
    norsk likes this.

watched his videos when getting into airguns I shoot my fx almost exclusively on small game now
    so much cheaper than 22lr and kills bunny's and stuff just as well you just have to be more fussy on shot placement
    7mmsaum likes this.

Hey Hutch did you go on an overland expedition our back pack it?