Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar

Stoat trap questions

Has anyone tryed one of these reloading traps?
    We have set it in a known stoat area as in sightings and no kills yet. I have tested it and it is working fine. Any suggestions or ideas..

Name:  20160222_081137.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  348.3 KB

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Has anyone tryed one of these reloading traps?
    We have set it in a known stoat area as in sightings and no kills yet. I have tested it and it is working fine. Any suggestions or ideas..

Attachment 46285
    Use one for Rats etc. Absolutely devastating have had six dead rats in a pile under it over night.
    Have never had a Stoat but as long as the bait is specific cant see why it wont work.

After stoats because there is a good number we have seen 5 of the little buggers. The trap is set as per instructions and using the meat extract bait but nothing.

The traps certainly work well. Try disguising it a bit perhaps. How long has it been set for?
    We've had success using T-rex rat traps in Sidekick bait stations baited with cat food and provoke rat attractant. We've been trapping rats and stoats along the Kapiti M2PP expressway where they are relocating eels in the streams to protect the eels in the nets.
    I personally think they'd work better if the gas canister was up the other way so the approach to the trap is more clear but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarty View Post
    The traps certainly work well. Try disguising it a bit perhaps. How long has it been set for?
    We've had success using T-rex rat traps in Sidekick bait stations baited with cat food and provoke rat attractant. We've been trapping rats and stoats along the Kapiti M2PP expressway where they are relocating eels in the streams to protect the eels in the nets.
    I personally think they'd work better if the gas canister was up the other way so the approach to the trap is more clear but who knows.
    Been set for a month.
    What do you use for Stoat attraction?

try a doc 250 and when you catch one rub its smelly arse all over the inside of the trap...pick up a road kill if need be to get scent in box to start with.picked up 3 in a week in same trap using this method.

Those packets of wet cat food, any flavour seems to work in our traps, and some provoke paste. Like I said we've just been using normal plastic rat traps. We tried the DoC style traps and they didn't get much but these rat traps are working well in the bait stations.
    I'm a pest controller so I'll ask around about the good nature traps and see what others say. If I find out anything I'll let you know.
    For the price of one of the good nature traps we can buy about three traps and stations. I really should take more pics of the work but here's a rat we got that couldn't get its body in the bait station Name:  m2pprat.jpg
Views: 1739
Size:  104.1 KB
    And an eel we saw Name:  m2ppeel.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  106.0 KB That's a standard I beam beside the eel, the eel was bigger round than my arm.

for rats in a Doc trap try bluebird rashuns...they worked great for me around the chook house.

Cheers guys

I have been using an A24 on the farm for the last three years and have just picked up a couple more for $30 each - I also used one for a couple of years on a local Park - never had a stoat - but plenty of rats
    I use 15 Victor Pro traps around the farm and main target is stoats and weasels - but never had a stoat. I have found Victors to be lethal on rats and hogs but apparently they don’t always kill a stoat - but without a camera you really don’t know what might be escaping
    I also use a DOC250 and a couple of cages - but never had a stoat.

Landcare Research NZ ltd have developed a modification for the Victor Pro trap to create a lightweight alternative to the DOC 150 and DOC 200 traps - the trap has passed standards for humane killing of stoats and will provide a very cost effective way to kill these animals - the kill bar will hit the stoat across the head and the rat across the neck
    If you are buying a Victor Pro for around $7 and the modification for around $6 - you have a very cost effective stoat trap that will also kill rats and hogs - I haven’t tried one yet but a mate has got some on the way

Modified Victor Stoat and Rat Trap - fittings only - Pest Control Research Store
    PLOS ONE: Modifying the Victor® Easy Set® Rat Trap to Improve the Animal Welfare of Stoats and Ship Rats Trapped in New Zealand
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzTrQMfRDps

From my experience trapping rats - the Snap-E trap is by far the best option - a lady I know on Great Barrier is using several thousand of them in a large controlled area. The Snap-E beats the Victor Pro for ease of use - and you will find that T Rex traps are easy to set but they seem prone to snap near the hinges and don’t always kill large rats.

The Timms trap is easy to hair trigger and becomes very effective at killing rats so if you bait it with meat you could get a mustilid or a cat - a mate has just picked up a few cats in Timms traps

There is a heap of trapping information on this forum under http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...control-22269/

There are plenty of things you can do to make an A24 work better - I mix my own lures that are more fluid so they keep on dribbling down the barrel - GN suggest you visit them each month and give the lure bottle a squeeze - they seem to go crusty and the smell is reduced - you can get awful smelling stoat lures from Connovation - see link below. I often mount my A24 on a ramp at about 45 degrees - easy walk-up access and you can see any blood stains on the ramp - rats tend to drag their mates off for a feed
    NZ Pest Management and Monitoring Products| Connovation Ltd

Good luck Shootm - would be great if you can let us know how you get on - depressing thing for me is all the work that I have done and gear that I have out there continually set for every predator on four legs - a bloody stoat ran across the drive in front of me on Sunday

Another local contact for you Shootm is - Daniel Ritchie Contracting - looks like they do all the work for the Council up the back - they get stoats and ferrets
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...%20contracting