Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stupid rabbit question….

Stupid rabbit question….

Hi. This is The. Dumbest. Question. I’ve never bothered with rabbits before now. But I just bought a lifestyle block and I’ve got critters to reduce in numbers.

So… I’ve got the .22. And the super bright torch.

Do I need to creep around in the dark and then flash the light on? Kinda surprise them? Or can I just walk around and scan the area with it until I spot one?

I’ve hunted a tonne of deer and wallaby. Just don’t know how to do the simplest hunting of all.

For a start just scan with torch and shoot...dont miss they will wise up quick and then you will have to get sneeky.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Are they wascally wabbits?

We started with rabbits.
    The basics apply during the day, keep wind in your favour, keep quiet and stalk them.
    And they will learn and get harder.
    The neighbours daughter is learning and getting better.
    kidmac42 likes this.

Hah. So bloody true.

I just used to sit on my deck at dusk and occasionally see them at breakfast too, rarely had to leave the deck to shoot them. I made an adapter so that I could use a camera tripod as a rest to shoot from a chair.
    Sideshow and Micky Duck like this.
    Happy Jack.

As HJ said dusk n sunrise.Have the sunrise behind you,sun will blind them for the 1st 30 minuts looking for you.
    Sideshow likes this.

Use of a silencer helps.

little sods get light shy very quickly good trick is to use a red shield on light- can be made very simply by using clear red plastic- or try light green - just something to dull the light

Watch the size of your lifestyle block...Some of the ones around where we are would struggle to have a safe firing zone in any direction.....A relaive of mie has a similar issue and traps their ones, (cage)
    Sideshow, Micky Duck and Ned like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

AR7
    Hi i would be interested in learning more about Wabbit trapping trap used and lure cheers

not overly difficult - use victor no ones or no two - the older gintraps were always the trap of choice by Rabbiters - learn how to fine set traps - bunnys are light so trap needs to be a real light set -trap on sign - entrance to burrows scratchings etc but camouflage traps - bury trap down a little from ground surface then just some light dry grass over trap will work - or news paper and a very light coating of sand or dirt over top - hazing is a method of directing animal over the trap - use anything at hand even thistles either side - dry branches shrubs - put either side so rabbit is almost coming along a path to hidden trap - no lure needed - great fun
    Micky Duck likes this.

Get a whippet.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

We had heaps here for most of my life, could shoot a dozen within 5 minutes walk of the house any day, but once I changed land management to much longer grass and heaps of trees the rabbits are basically gone. If you want to get rid of them, this idea might help. On the down side the hares and deer that have increased since the rabbits left do far more damage.

When we had heaps of rabbits there did not seem to be any care needed to shoot them at all, just wander around and shoot, and at night the light worked well with no special requirements. Thermal spotter and NV scope would be perfect if you wanted to go that route.
    BRADS and Micky Duck like this.

For the lifestyle block that has no safe fire zone for a 22lr they do have some very good air rifles out there at the moment.
    Not sure if you have seen these in NZ
    https://www.evergreenrabbitcontrol.c...dropbox-traps/
    I’d add a bowel of water for them to drink. They do need to be checked every day. Work a treat.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.