Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 2 Post By Chur Bay
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By McNotty
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Take a Bitch Hunting

Take a Bitch Hunting

My bitch is on heat. Bleeding has stopped. Safe to take her hunting? Will she want to hunt or will she be preoccupied with sex? Just looking at an overnighter.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Chur Bay; 07-03-2024 at 08:16 PM.

No trouble at all unless you meet a male dog and then it will really muck it up for you and the other dog and owner. His/her dog will be totally distracted for the rest of their day and your bitch could possibly get in pup. You only have to look away for one minute...

If you are on private land and can be certain there are no other dogs she will be ok to hunt with. Always a risk though. She will take a dog after bleeding stops.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Yeah. Thanks for that. She can sit this one out.
    Tahr and Husky1600#2 like this.

Keep track of the days when she comes in season, it differs slightly between dogs. Once the pattern appears it helps plan your hunts as it were.

My girl comes in season every 7 months. She gets quite flighty for first couple weeks.

Makes gamebird season a challenge this year as due in season in June...................grrrrr
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    No trouble at all unless you meet a male dog and then it will really muck it up for you and the other dog and owner. His/her dog will be totally distracted for the rest of their day and your bitch could possibly get in pup. You only have to look away for one minute...

If you are on private land and can be certain there are no other dogs she will be ok to hunt with. Always a risk though. She will take a dog after bleeding stops.
    After owning a team of 12 mixed sex dogs, I can assure you, some bitches will stand earlier……
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by McNotty View Post
    After owning a team of 12 mixed sex dogs, I can assure you, some bitches will stand earlier……
    Yes. What I meant was just because she isn't bleeding doesn't mean she wont take a dog.
    mikee likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

She actually seems hornier now she is not bleeding.

Have spayed my hunting bitches for the last 40 years, never had a bitch that won't hunt after spaying, plenty of others out there with replacement pups available.