Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree22Likes
  • 17 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Trout
  • 1 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: Three mates, two 308’s and some Fallow

Caretaker

Three mates, two 308’s and some Fallow

Can I get away with sleeping in, or will I never hear the end of it…… that’s the first thought our anonymous mate had to contend with, and politely for now we will randomly name him Phil

Sitting at the table with good bastard farmer and random guy Phil we could see a plan forming, wispy and vague but nevertheless a plan .
    The more we spoke Sakos and 308s and 100 or 200yrd zeros we knew, some testing was required

Two lads in the Dodge and a third in the “recovery” vehicle in case said Ram got stuck we were off, a fair bit of tonnage and lashings of horsepower ensued the tracks suffered, the grass suffered, fences and animals were not entirely safe and each gateway approached at speed with the back wheels not really following the fronts.

A lofty hilltop for a parking spot and we were at the 100 yard possie. After a lengthy setup it was clear a few rifles were in for some testing, Sakos, a medium one, a smaller one, possibly a howa and a Ruger to keep the howa company.

A brisk left to right breeze arrived uninvited but stayed anyway.

One by one each rifle was tested, random guy Phil adjusted and tested again, all shot exceptionally well and I’d even go as far as to say they might not endure another scope swap anytime soon.

Packing up and still in a planning mood you could see another convo was only going to produce more gold, this time in the form of said newly tested Sako going for a hunt to sink some lead into an unsuspecting deer

Three ridges separated by native trees held the best grass, a magnet for any deer in the area, knowing this three lads approached from the downward side and used the ground contour as cover. Assessing the most likely areas for an animal used up a few nervous minutes, just as it seemed some witty deer had outsmarted some witless hunters a wee voice from good bastard hunter said -there’s some deer watching us……..166m to our left and about 10 degrees downhill

It was two Sako 308s about 40 metres apart that centred their scopes on the newcomers, two shots barely 1/4 second apart and the left and right animal sank to the ground

With the newest Sako blooded it was job tidy and a great outcome, the venison welcome as Xmas BBQ season approaches.

All in plenty of laughs and random guy Phil produced the goods at the end of the day

Attachment 238237

Attachment 238238
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 14 others like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

My style

Go the 308s.
    7mmsaum likes this.

What an awesome and we'll written story.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.

Caretaker
    After allowing the meat to set its a joy to run a blade around well conditioned animals, certainly makes a change from lean Sika.

Occasionally I think a layer of fat helps set all the cuts just that little better, not sure but it seems to.

Attachment 238335

Attachment 238336

Attachment 238337

Attachment 238338
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    After allowing the meat to set its a joy to run a blade around well conditioned animals, certainly makes a change from lean Sika.

Occasionally I think a layer of fat helps set all the cuts just that little better, not sure but it seems to.

Attachment 238335

Attachment 238336

Attachment 238337

Attachment 238338
    I agree. The meat off lean or thin deer can be slimy and wet to work with and handle.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi