Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree279Likes

Thread: Venison meat hunting in NZ in the past

Venison meat hunting in NZ in the past

Introduction... Perhaps this is a controversial subject for some hunters in NZ, in the past with hunting ethics.

Hunting ethics?.... A posting for geriatric old time meat hunters to comment on, perhaps.

Meat hunting in NZ. It was a fact of life, it was even a life style for some NZ hunters. A hard way to make a living

I have a collection of 35mm photos from the past so I'm putting them up here for forum members to enjoy etc.

Name:  1 FN FAL rifle.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  428.2 KB

Above is a naughty FN rifle from the past, at that particular time these were allowed. Yes Mr Policeman you have now got this rifle.
    Why did I own one, because I could legally do so like hundreds of others.
    I liked this design because I could put a 2 bullet spread as shown in the above photo. However it doesn't matter what rifle you want to use as long as it is suitable for your use?
    Trout, tetawa, shift14 and 11 others like this.

Don’t sweat it. It’s part of our history and any old photos you post will be very welcome just for the historical content. Posting photos of our confiscated precious ones is a bit on the nose though
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

Look forward to seeing any further photo's posted, the guns don't really matter to me other than from an interest point of view .
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post
    Introduction... Perhaps this is a controversial subject for some hunters in NZ, in the past with hunting ethics.

Hunting ethics?.... A posting for geriatric old time meat hunters to comment on, perhaps.

Meat hunting in NZ. It was a fact of life, it was even a life style for some NZ hunters. A hard way to make a living

I have a collection of 35mm photos from the past so I'm putting them up here for forum members to enjoy etc.

Attachment 230116

Above is a naughty FN rifle from the past, at that particular time these were allowed. Yes Mr Policeman you have now got this rifle.
    Why did I own one, because I could legally do so like hundreds of others.
    I liked this design because I could put a 2 bullet spread as shown in the above photo. However it doesn't matter what rifle you want to use as long as it is suitable for your use?
    sorry dont have photos but great days one could sell deer - now early days one could sell either whole carcass or pin bone hind quarters - so you could sell a deer whole or with the whole skin and with the hind quarters attached with back steaks cut along rib cage -it was good money - be neat to do that now - someone needs to do that - supply restaurants etc

It was bloody hard work.

Name:  Picture518.jpeg
Views: 1091
Size:  23.2 KB

When I left shepherding for meat hunting and casual work I was on $27 a week.
    Here's a day's work meat hunting soon after. The 22 cents was for sinews. The 66 cents for the tail.

Name:  Picture202.jpeg
Views: 1121
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by Tahr; 01-08-2023 at 03:29 PM.
    Trout, rugerman, Pengy and 10 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Roll out the vids, Video Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It was bloody hard work.

Attachment 230125

Here's a day's work meat hunting soon after. The 22 cents was for sinews. The 66 cents for the tail.

Attachment 230126
    as a young shepherd I made $20 a week and had to work sat morning as well - I paid for dog vet bills saddle costs etc - but one good deer sold was twice my earnings -man I hunted hard it was good money because I was on a down hill street as young shepherd - but I was was young very fit and skinny lol
    Moa Hunter and BSA270 like this.

Yep, can remember getting fuckall per week as an apprentice mechanic, could earn about a months wages for a Saturday or weekend hunting.
    Tahr, Moa Hunter, norsk and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It was bloody hard work.

Attachment 230125

Attachment 230126
    And the price 10 years after Tahr's one. And they were still just as skinny
    But I obviously got ripped off with the sinews

Name:  Consolidated traders receipt  - Copy.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  443.2 KB
    Last edited by NIMROD; 01-08-2023 at 05:28 PM.
    Nathan F, Tahr, Pengy and 4 others like this.

Banned
    I see Tahr didnt have to pay withholding tax. Must of come later once numbers were coming down and there wasnt the same need to incentivise culling /control ?

Here's some of the last good days.

Loved it @ $8.10/kg for headshots 45-64kg range.

More deer about in places they shouldn't have got to now this market has been removed. Now we see more funding getting thrown at controlling deer... gotta wonder about all that.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Name:  20230801_163421-01 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 1093
Size:  158.8 KB
    Name:  20230801_163413-01 - Copy.jpeg
Views: 1102
Size:  153.5 KB
    Last edited by 6x45; 01-08-2023 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x45 View Post
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Food safety rules kinda killed it, but its on the way back. MPI has a system where if you pass a food safety test, you can supply butchers. I don't know costs, but I know a guy who does it in the middle of the North Island.

You have to find the butcher yourself though.
    reeltoreel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I see Tahr didnt have to pay withholding tax. Must of come later once numbers were coming down and there wasnt the same need to incentivise culling /control ?
    The tax went on when labour come into power.
    tetawa and Moa Hunter like this.

It was good money when it hit $ 1.00 a pound around 1970 but not for long .

i got caught with withholding tax selling possum skins , unless you gave your real name they were not interested in buying , i then had a brain storm , i have expenses , really expensive ammo , spotlights , battery, clothing , vehicle expenses , boots , all added up to a tidy sum and a good earner , well and truly covered my withholding tax
    BSA270 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HG Man View Post
    Food safety rules kinda killed it, but its on the way back. MPI has a system where if you pass a food safety test, you can supply butchers. I don't know costs, but I know a guy who does it in the middle of the North Island.

You have to find the butcher yourself though.
    No food safety rules back then, the sign lays it all out, but there was never any way of checking where carcasses really came from

Name:  1080 notice.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  725.7 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.